Rainbowfish for 125gal

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lexi03, Apr 22, 2012.

1. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone! Progress is moving along now in setting up our 125gal tank. The hubby wants a school of rainbow fish but which ones? I would like a school of 10 to 15, and they would need to fit with this stocking list:

4 angelfish ( 1 pair will be blue angels)
    2 apistogramma agassizi tefe pearl blue
    2 other dwarf cichlids ( undecided yet any suggestions? No GBRs)
    15-20 kerri tetras
    5ish platies
    1-2 l239 plecos
    10- 20 juli or albino cories
    3-5 amano shrimp
    A couple nerite snails
    A few mystery snails

The tank will be panted. The only rainbow fish available near me is turquoise and boesemani rainbows, anything else would need to be ordered.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I LOVE my rainbows in the 125. They really need a 6 foot tank in order to have the space to swim. I have a mixed school - yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani. Sometimes they school together, and sometimes they break off into individual species schools. I have a few more to get to make 4 of each. You'll have no trouble keeping rainbows with your stock.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I had read about how different kinds will school together, I am mostly worried about picking ones with the right size, I don't want them to run out of swimming room. We just got back from the store, they have a couple types they didn't have before. So there are the turquoise, boesmani, a tank labeled Austrailian rainbows and madagascar rainbows. So would any of them work or bbe better than another? Or any other types you would really recommend?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Most of the genus melanotania are all the same, just with different skins. The madagasgar rainbows are a little different than the others. I'm not sure if they would school together. I'd stick with rainbows from the melanotania genus.

5. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

very nice i just got 12 turquoise rainbows for my 125g. love them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice