Rainbowfish chasing Glow Light Tetras

smalli

Member
I just got glow light tetras and my austrailian rainbow fish are chasing them around. I have a 3.5 gallon tank that i could move them too but idk the austrailian rainbows are about 3 inches long
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
I just got glow light tetras and my austrailian rainbow fish are chasing them around. I have a 3.5 gallon tank that i could move them too but idk the austrailian rainbows are about 3 inches long
How many did you get of them? What is the tank size?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
How many did you get of them? What is the tank size?
i got 6 of them tank size is 36 gallons
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
i got 6 of them tank size is 36 gallons
How many rainbows are there? Is your tank planted?
 

marmaaa

Member
Hm its weird that they are chasing, everywhere it says theyre generally non aggressive fish. I have read that they prefer to be in a school, could that be why they are chasing? The could be chasing because they are just new fish or because theyre smaller.
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Hm its weird that they are chasing, everywhere it says theyre generally non aggressive fish. I have read that they prefer to be in a school, could that be why they are chasing? The could be chasing because they are just new fish or because theyre smaller.
I have tried to get them buddys but there legit nowhere in my community so we special orderd it from petco and its arriving in 2 weeks
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
I have tried to get them buddys but there legit nowhere in my community so we special orderd it from petco and its arriving in 2 weeks
Thats good then. Maybe get 2-4 more of the tetras since they are on the smaller end. Is there a pic of tank you could post with the fish size comparison? It would be better if the tank had more hiding spots for the tetras.
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Thats good then. Maybe get 2-4 more of the tetras since they are on the smaller end. Is there a pic of tank you could post with the fish size comparison? It would be better if the tank had more hiding spots for the tetras.

742855-38d0439ed886d0a54f280026ea9849b5.jpg
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
It is kinda hard to see the fish in there, but I would recommend some taller plants in there or bushy plants so the fish can go in and hide, in case of aggression. Are they still chasing?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
It is kinda hard to see the fish in there, but I would recommend some taller plants in there or bushy plants so the fish can go in and hide, in case of aggression. Are they still chasing?
no because they are hiding i think..
smalli said:
no because they are hiding i think..

usda.jpg

smalli said:
no because they are hiding i think..


usda.jpg
updated pic
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
no because they are hiding i think..


usda.jpg


updated pic
Oh wow okay, i see way more plants in this view, which is much better for them! They bigger fish were probably just trying to check them out, were they nipping or anything besides chasing?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Oh wow okay, i see way more plants in this view, which is much better for them! They bigger fish were probably just trying to check them out, were they nipping or anything besides chasing?
I dont think so
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
I dont think so
then maybe it isnt anything too bad, could just be curiosity, but I am no expert. Update us if anything worsens
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
then maybe it isnt anything too bad, could just be curiosity, but I am no expert. Update us if anything worsens
Ok 2 are hiding one is in a water sprite and the other is behind the filter the filter is submerged so they could of swam into it aggenst the current or they are hiding in drift wood or a cave for a soon to be pleco... What would you do?
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
Ok 2 are hiding one is in a water sprite and the other is behind the filter the filter is submerged so they could of swam into it aggenst the current or they are hiding in drift wood or a cave for a soon to be pleco... What would you do?
Are the lights on?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Are the lights on?
Yea also this is floating does it look dead?
smalli said:
Yea also this is floating does it look dead?
It’s mouth is moving but it’s tail looks bitten off
 

marmaaa

Member
H
smalli said:
Yea also this is floating does it look dead?

It’s mouth is moving but it’s tail looks bitten off
I would turn off the light for now, Its best to have the lights off when you first add in new fish so it doesnt stress them out. Not sure about the tail, it looks a bit blurry but it may be torn off or its just the angle. Its not dead tho thats for sure.
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
H

I would turn off the light for now, Its best to have the lights off when you first add in new fish so it doesnt stress them out. Not sure about the tail, it looks a bit blurry but it may be torn off or its just the angle. Its not dead tho thats for sure.
should i move it to the 3.5 gallon
smalli said:
should i move it to the 3.5 gallon
it really looks odd the tail looks a bit like has a big chunk taken out of it
 

marmaaa

Member
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Is it cycled and heated?
yes 76-78 degrees farnihight
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
yes 76-78 degrees farnihight
Hm idk if I would move them just yet because it may stress them out again moving them into a smaller tank. I would monitor them today and see how they are in a couple hours. Also check to see if the tail is torn or if it is the angle. Its normal for them to spread out in the beginning. My tetras do that when I first introduce them into a tank. Have they been chased again since 2 hours ago?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Hm idk if I would move them just yet because it may stress them out again moving them into a smaller tank. I would monitor them today and see how they are in a couple hours. Also check to see if the tail is torn or if it is the angle. Its normal for them to spread out in the beginning. My tetras do that when I first introduce them into a tank. Have they been chased again since 2 hours ago?
yes
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
I dont know this is tricky. Moving them again would stress them out so much but if they are being chased and its aggression then that is bad as well. How long have they been in the tank for?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
I dont know this is tricky. Moving them again would stress them out so much but if they are being chased and its aggression then that is bad as well. How long have they been in the tank for?
bout 5 hrs i just moved 5 of them to the 3.5 and i cant find the other do you know what fish guts look like?
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
bout 5 hrs i just moved 5 of them to the 3.5 and i cant find the other do you know what fish guts look like?
Uhh that is something I do not know. Do you have a pic of what you are looking at? Also make sure lights are off in the 3.5
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Uhh that is something I do not know. Do you have a pic of what you are looking at? Also make sure lights are off in the 3.5
it was like white and like papery
smalli said:
it was like white and like papery
Do you know if theres a way for the one with the tail bitten off to heal or is it gonna die
smalli said:
it was like white and like papery

Do you know if theres a way for the one with the tail bitten off to heal or is it gonna die
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
it was like white and like papery
I dont think something like that would be the guts. Is the one you cant find the one with the torn fin? It could be the fin?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
smalli said:
it was like white and like papery

Do you know if theres a way for the one with the tail bitten off to heal or is it gonna die

79B6FA67-8B1C-458D-A4EC-D7A315DA1ED5.jpeg

marmaaa said:
I dont think something like that would be the guts. Is the one you cant find the one with the torn fin? It could be the fin?
Ok they have settled in and i count 5 the other one is still somewhere in the 36 gallon and i removed all the decorations and i cant find it...
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:

79B6FA67-8B1C-458D-A4EC-D7A315DA1ED5.jpeg


Ok they have settled in and i count 5 the other one is still somewhere in the 36 gallon and i removed all the decorations and i cant find it...
His fin should heal with proper water condition and time. You could get meds to speed it up but I dont think he will die from it. That is very weird that you cant find it. Have you checked to see if he is on the substrate or behind the filter/heater?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
His fin should heal with proper water condition and time. You could get meds to speed it up but I dont think he will die from it. That is very weird that you cant find it. Have you checked to see if he is on the substrate or behind the filter/heater?
Yes ive checked many times..
smalli said:
Yes ive checked many times..
Do you think its fin rot? when i got it i checked and they were all fine does fin rot move that fast?
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
Yes ive checked many times..

Do you think its fin rot? when i got it i checked and they were all fine does fin rot move that fast?
No I dont think a couple of hours had his whole fin gone. Unless his fin was already small you missed it. Or his fin could be just super clear.
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
No I dont think a couple of hours had his whole fin gone. Unless his fin was already small you missed it. Or his fin could be just super clear.
Ok Thank you so much it really helped me ill tell you if the fish came out
Thanks
-Sam
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
Ok Thank you so much it really helped me ill tell you if the fish came out
Thanks
-Sam
no problem, keep me posted!
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
smalli said:

79B6FA67-8B1C-458D-A4EC-D7A315DA1ED5.jpeg


Ok they have settled in and i count 5 the other one is still somewhere in the 36 gallon and i removed all the decorations and i cant find it...
We now have 6 of them!
smalli said:
We now have 6 of them!
Sadly i think the one with no tail died lastnight it stopped moving and is floating at the top
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
We now have 6 of them!

Sadly i think the one with no tail died lastnight it stopped moving and is floating at the top
RIP to him. Where was the last one hiding? Do you know what youre going to do with the 5 now?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
RIP to him. Where was the last one hiding? Do you know what youre going to do with the 5 now?
I think he was burried somewhere that i had no clue existed... I think im gonna return them because i cannot get a bigger tank for them fast enough
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
I think he was burried somewhere that i had no clue existed... I think im gonna return them because i cannot get a bigger tank for them fast enough
That seems smart, if you want to get a schooling fish maybe try a bigger size one than them. Or get bottom fish like cories that school nicely as well.
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
smalli said:
I think he was burried somewhere that i had no clue existed... I think im gonna return them because i cannot get a bigger tank for them fast enough
Also do you know any fish that i can add without them getting obliterated Im thinking dalmation mollys?
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
Also do you know any fish that i can add without them getting obliterated Im thinking dalmation mollys?
do you want to have babies. Mollies are prolific breeders. What do you currently have the tank stocked with?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
That seems smart, if you want to get a schooling fish maybe try a bigger size one than them. Or get bottom fish like cories that school nicely as well.
The thing is i have a bn pleco im gonna add to it but its not big enough so its growing in the 3.5 along with 3 baby swordtails with the 5 neon glow tetras lol So i am overstocked
marmaaa said:
do you want to have babies. Mollies are prolific breeders. What do you currently have the tank stocked with?
4x swordtails(2x neon and 2x velvet) and the 2 austrailian rainbowfish and 4 snails Is there a way to just get males? or do you think theres anything else. I want something that like stands out
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
The thing is i have a bn pleco im gonna add to it but its not big enough so its growing in the 3.5 along with 3 baby swordtails with the 5 neon glow tetras lol So i am overstocked
So you have 2 rainbow fish, a bn pleco, 3 swordtails?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
So you have 2 rainbow fish, a bn pleco, 3 swordtails?
bn pleco is in the 3.5 gallon in the 36 gallon i have 2 australian rainbow fish, 2 neon swordtails, 2 velvet swordtails, 4 mystery snails. 3.5 gallon i have 6 glow light tetras, 3 baby neon swordtails and the bn pleco
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
bn pleco is in the 3.5 gallon in the 36 gallon i have 2 australian rainbow fish, 2 neon swordtails, 2 velvet swordtails, 4 mystery snails. 3.5 gallon i have 6 glow light tetras, 3 baby neon swordtails and the bn pleco
Whats the filter that you have and at the end of each week how much nitrates do you usually have with your current stocking in the 36g?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
Whats the filter that you have and at the end of each week how much nitrates do you usually have with your current stocking in the 36g?
the filter


and nitrates is round 5-10
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
the filter Tetra® Whisper In Tank Power Aquarium Filters | fish Filters | PetSmart


and nitrates is round 5-10
I would say your at max once you add in the other fish. Cause youre also going to add more rainbow fish correct?
 
  • Thread Starter

smalli

Member
marmaaa said:
I would say your at max once you add in the other fish. Cause youre also going to add more rainbow fish correct?
yea i think
smalli said:
yea i think
I know im gonna get a 50 gallon in the future so thats where im gonna put the Australian rainbows together
 

marmaaa

Member
smalli said:
yea i think

I know im gonna get a 50 gallon in the future so thats where im gonna put the Australian rainbows together
Thats good then, once you get a 50g you can add more fish. Not sure if you said it before, but how many more rainbows are you getting?
 

GlennO

Member
marmaaa said:
Hm its weird that they are chasing, everywhere it says theyre generally non aggressive fish. I have read that they prefer to be in a school, could that be why they are chasing? The could be chasing because they are just new fish or because theyre smaller.
Unlikely to be aggression. More than likely they are small enough to be considered a potential snack.
 

marmaaa

Member
GlennO said:
Unlikely to be aggression. More than likely they are small enough to be considered a potential snack.
Yeah thats what I kinda of meant. Probably why one of the tetras fins were ripped off
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom