Rainbow sharks

Wrench

I was at my l.f.s last week getting dome a.d.f's and happened to see their rainbow sharks, they had about 40 of them together in the tank.
I asked the employee how they were getting away with that and she told me if you habe enough of them together they do not become territorial...this ain't a petco either b.t.w it's a mom and pop shop and they are all knowledgeable I feel.
So my Q is....has anyone in here been able to keep more than 3 rainbows in the same tank?
I know all fish have different personalities but I found this odd considering I have three....one is in the 28 gal. tank cuz hes a bully but my albino rainbows hang out together and are buddies.....I'm confused.

FinalFins

Wrench said:
I was at my l.f.s last week getting dome a.d.f's and happened to see their rainbow sharks, they had about 40 of them together in the tank.
I asked the employee how they were getting away with that and she told me if you habe enough of them together they do not become territorial...this ain't a petco either b.t.w it's a mom and pop shop and they are all knowledgeable I feel.
So my Q is....has anyone in here been able to keep more than 3 rainbows in the same tank?
I know all fish have different personalities but I found this odd considering I have three....one is in the 28 gal. tank cuz hes a bully but my albino rainbows hang out together and are buddies.....I'm confused.
They are most likely juvenile ones, which often group up but turn aggro with age.

I don't really know how to put it into words but more numbers make less aggression simply because the aggression gets 'spread out'. Very common in cichlids,characins, and some cyprinids.

Wrench

FinalFins said:
They are most likely juvenile ones, which often group up but turn aggro with age.

I don't really know how to put it into words but more numbers make less aggression simply because the aggression gets 'spread out'. Very common in cichlids,characins, and some cyprinids.
Yes the albinos are both babies.
The regular rainbow is about 8 months old an he turned into a total jerk as soon as I put him in the 55.
I took him out put him back in the 28 with 16 tetras, 6 rasboras and 8 a.d.f's and he is fine.....
I wonder how many I would need to get this aggression spread to disperse?

A201

The mom & pop store provided the correct information. That many Rainbow Sharks packed together in a vendor's tank likely won't have aggression problems.
You could probably have similar success by packing your 55 gal. with a large group of them
How many? Who knows, trial & error.
Be a good idea to research Rainbow Sharks & check out RS setups on YouTube.

Wrench

A201 said:
The mom & pop store provided the correct information. That many Rainbow Sharks packed together in a vendor's tank likely won't have aggression problems.
You could probably have similar success by packing your 55 gal. with a large group of them
How many? Who knows, trial & error.
Be a good idea to research Rainbow Sharks & check out RS setups on YouTube.
Ok, I may experimanet then. I dunno.
I have a bala shark in the 55 and she is bigger than all the rest so maybe she will be head honcho and they will cow tow to her.
I have found a 210 gal. tank online i am going to buy (500, with stand and 40 gal. Spill over where the filter and media is kept) not a bad deal at all. He is just done with the fish,so eventually the bala will go in there.
It would be neat to see 6 or 8 rainbows hanging out together.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom