Rainbow Sharks & other fish 20 Gallon Tank

1. HikingRN Initiate Member

I have 2 3-year-old rainbow sharks. The man at the pet store insisted that they be sold in pairs, which I now know is not ideal. One is much larger than the other one.

What kinds of fish would live well with rainbow sharks? I used to have tiger barbs, but my last one just died. I am not sure what types of fish would be compatiable with older rainbow sharks. They are fairly aggressive. Thanks for any tips!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!
    Are they in your 20g?
    Unfortunatly, I would recommend that you get a larger tank before thinking about tank mates. They can get pretty big. If that's not possible, maybe you should consider returning them.
    Rainbow Shark

Other members know more about them and would be better at suggesting tank mates.

Best of luck!

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Unfortunately, it's not recommended to keep more than one RTS together due to territorial issues. It's also recommended to keep them in a tank minimum of 55g.

I keep my RTS with convict cichlids, a rainbow cichlid, and a Jack Dempsey cichlid in a 55g.

Hope this helps.

4. HikingRN Initiate Member

Wow, 55 gallons is a big tank! I feel bad for my sharks now living in a 20 gallon tank with tiger barbs. One is 6-7 inches and one is 4-5 inches (if you count fins in the measurements). So, hopefully they do not get much larger. They have the tank to themselves now.

I got them at petsmart when they were tiny, so doubt I can return them.

I'll consider a larger tank. Thanks for your advice!

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to FL, HikingRN :)

6. Sammyboi1993 Member Member

I Own a Rainbow Shark and iv had a fully grown one in a 10gallon tank befor and have never had any problems with him, he is now loacted in a 20gallon tank with guppies, mollies, spanner barbs, kribs, rams, gourami's, clow loach, pleco and tetra's.

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Sammy, you are kidding, right? That's the most overstocked 20 gallon tank I've ever heard of. :confused:

8. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I had one in a 33-gal with a pleco and some platys.
    Not ideal, but - like you - I was told they were okay in a tank that size by the pet store.