Rainbow Sharks Hate Me

MamaFunk
I've had two rainbow sharks die on me in the past 3 weeks. I bought one on the 16th and added it to my established 75g. A week later it died, so I figured it was a fluke and brought it back to the store and got a new one. About a week and a half later this one started acting funny too and it was dead the next day. All the other fish in the tank are fine (3 yoyo loaches, 6 upside down catfish, 5 turquoise rainbows, 2 bristlenose pleco). My parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate as tested with API master test kit. It's a natural planted aquarium with a large piece of driftwood. Have I just gotten a run of bad luck or are these really that difficult to keep alive?

max h
I have had hit and miss success with Rainbow Sharks. If I where you finish out a shoal of your YoYo loaches first by adding 3 more and test the water for a few weeks to make sure it's stable then try again on a shark. What type of filtration are you running?

MamaFunk
I have had hit and miss success with Rainbow Sharks. If I where you finish out a shoal of your YoYo loaches first by adding 3 more and test the water for a few weeks to make sure it's stable then try again on a shark. What type of filtration are you running?
The fluval 406 canister filter.

max h
The fluval 406 canister filter.

So it's not a filtration problem, it could just be where the fish are coming from. Difference in water between where you live and what the store is using. Hard to tell, normally with Rainbows that I have had they either last a couple of days or last a long time. No in between.

MamaFunk
So it's not a filtration problem, it could just be where the fish are coming from. Difference in water between where you live and what the store is using. Hard to tell, normally with Rainbows that I have had they either last a couple of days or last a long time. No in between.
Thanks! Good to know I'm not the only one. It was starting to make me feel like a failure. This is our 4th tank but biggest one we've had by far (next closes is a 29g) so I was like "what is happenniiiiing!?!"

max h
I got to where I just don't mess with them anymore. The rainbowfish are much more entertaining, and you don't have to worry about aggression with them. Look at upping your rainbows to about 8.

MamaFunk
I got to where I just don't mess with them anymore. The rainbowfish are much more entertaining, and you don't have to worry about aggression with them. Look at upping your rainbows to about 8.
Can different varieties of rainbowfish cohabitate? I'd like to add some more variety.

max h
They can I had 5 Australian Rainbows and 5 Bosemani's in my 100 gallon tank. When I got my 150 up and running I put the Bosemani's in it and upped their school to 8. The Australians will be bumped up to 8 in the 100 gallon tank too. The real key is having enough of the 2 types, in a 75 you may start running out of room.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
CindiL
  • Question
Replies
Views
Apersau1
Replies