Rainbow Shark

molly lover

Reaction score
I have a Rainbow Shark with my Mollies and they are doing fine together but he's not doing so well. He doesn't eat and he just lays at the bottom of the tank with my algea cleaner, the care sheet I got with him said he should eat flakes that I feed my Mollies but he's not should I feed him live food or frozen food?

spandex

Reaction score
i have one rainbow shark, and he loves to hide, when i had nothing in the tnak he just went nuts at the other fish, or just sat there.

have u got a log or somethign he could hide in? i found i have never seen mine eat he just swims around finds a flake thats sitting on the bottem and will take a bit of that then go again.

czarben

Reaction score
Rainbow sharks are almost exclusively bottom feeders. They won't eat the food suspended in the water, but feed on what falls to the bottom. They love foraging in the gravel and plants and other decorations. They also like to hide, and they aren't very social, especially with other rainbow sharks.

molly lover

Reaction score
I have some kind of Greek stature thing he likes. It's funny cause he swims between the poles all the time. And thanks I thought he was sick or something...

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I see you're keeping the rainbow shark in a 5 gallon tank, which is way too small for this fish. These sharks grow up to 6" and they need a tank something like 50 gallons in size. Are you planning on getting a larger tank? How long have you had the 5 gallon tank? I am sorry to say this again, but your 5 gallon tank is very overstocked. Do you know the parameters of your water (i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH)? Your shark may be sick (or dying) from poor water quality as a result of overcrowding.

P.S. You are familiar with the cycle, right?

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
czarben said:
Rainbow sharks are almost exclusively bottom feeders. They won't eat the food suspended in the water, but feed on what falls to the bottom. They love foraging in the gravel and plants and other decorations. They also like to hide, and they aren't very social, especially with other rainbow sharks.
Hi..just a note about rainbow sharks..my rainbow (who is going back to the LFS today, he's terrorizing all my other fish), ate off everything, including coming to the top to eat and chasing the flakes that drifted down to the bottom. He is a little piggy, he was fine with the other fish for the first few weeks, but in the last week he has chased every fish I have in my 36 gal tank, and is stressing them out way tooooo much. I'm going to see if I can get an oto or cory today instead.
Jackie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom