Rainbow Shark Violence? [VIDEO] Important

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey Guys.
    I think my RBS Has been attacking my other fish; I got a video but can't tell whether she is cleaning the other fish (platies) or simply attacking. Because she does the same thing to the tank substrate. I'm getting rid of if it's violence.

VIDEO CLICK HERE

Thanks People

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

most definitely territorial actions...rbs dont clean other fish normally and do attack quite often...

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That's aggression IMO. Rainbow sharks don't "clean" other fish. The tank is on the small side for this fish, and finding a new home for it is probably your best bet. Sorry for the bad news.

4. VenomGrass Member Member

Would you recommend to remove from the tank and take back to LFS she told me it would be ok. And didnt mention it would grow 6" (I didnt do my research just started ya see) :(

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes. If you can't get a larger tank for it, or give it to a friend with a larger tank, I'd say that would be the thing to do.

Good luck!

6. VenomGrass Member Member

Will she be able to injure the other fish ot just scare them? they have teeth?

Also: How do i transport her to the LFS as it is a good 30 min drive due to bridges collapsing in our area because of the floods. Would a nescafe jar work? If i wash it with water (No soap) lots of times.

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, definite aggression.

If this information helps, I keep my RTBS in a 55g with a pair of convict cichlids and a Jack Dempsey. Plenty of swimming room with fish that are tough enough to stand their ground.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you are sure there is no residue, that should work fine...or you can use a bigger sized ziplock freezer bag and just double bag it leaving some air at the top ..good luck and great decision even if its a hard one

9. VenomGrass Member Member

So do I half fill with tank water half air? thanks

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that sounds good. Keep your car nice and warm and your fish won't have any problems on the trip. :)

11. VenomGrass Member Member

I hope they take it back; I purchased her on 10th dec. What should I say to the shop/ Do shops generally take fish back or do you get money back etc.. thanks

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

make sure you have a cover of some kind..they like to jump! and I hope they take it also..if they dont because too much time has gone by, maybe offer it to them for free as your tank cant support him...or maybe they will give you store credit on food or another fish at some point?

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Call them ahead of time to see what their return policy is. That'll help you know what to expect. Some stores will give you store credit, some will only take it back for free.

14. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

They will probably give you a credit note, but be sure to let them know your not happy with the lack of information given to you on purchasing the fish(but do this politley)

Good luck m8

Nick

15. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

My guess is that they will take it back for free. Most stores won't offer a credit on a fish you return. If you let them know that their improper advice in the beginning led to the return, maybe you'll get a credit. I hope so!

16. VenomGrass Member Member

Update: The shark went back to another aquarist shop yesterday (replaced with bolivian ram). I used a different store too! Probably best I have ever seen with hundreds of tanks. I didn't get credit but the shark got a better home - was hard to see her go but for the best I suppose.

17. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Venom. I think you've made a good decision. I know it was a hard one as the Rainbow Sharks are beautiful fish. I hope you can share some photos of your new addition.
    Ken

18. VenomGrass Member Member

:) I have them uploaded into my gallery - Check them out:
    Here is one of my favourite

[​IMG]

Thanks Ken

19. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful bolivians, VenomGrass!

20. VenomGrass Member Member

Would you be able to sex them for me please bolivianbaby? pics are in my gallery. thanks