Rainbow Shark Tankmates 65 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bowersda89, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Bowersda89

Bowersda89New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking for tankmates to live along side my Rainbow shark. For now the sharks only a baby, barely an inch in size in a 65 gallon tank with plenty of caves and crevices.

Looking at the most suitable and different tankmates to join him.

I've seen both barbs and Rasboras go well. Which species of those will go best with him?

Would like Scissortail rasboras but not sure if they are too "shark like?" Though do grow big enough to not make a meal for him. Not too keen on Harlequins.

Also for barbs, again I'd rather not go for the common choices of tiger and clown. I do like odessa barbs, but maybe not big enough?

What else have people had luck with?

2. Basil

BasilWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +479
    Experience:
    1 year
    I briefly kept a red tailed black shark with scissortail rasboras and all was well. I said briefly as my wonky well water and my inexperience at recognizing the water issue and most importantly, ph issues ended that setup.

And before I set up that tank, the scissortails were in a smaller tank with a rainbow shark. It’s s long story!

Anyway, I loved the scissortails and they are quick enough to evade any chasing. Plus they tend to stay near the top which the shark does not.

I would love to set up a 65 with just those two fish. The scissortails look awesome in a large school.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I can't really answer your question, but I did want to say Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful and enjoyable.