Rainbow Shark Messing With Black Skirt

Discussion in 'Rainbow Shark' started by Justin I, Apr 18, 2018.

1. J

Justin I New Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a 36 gallon tank. It recently got ick, which took out all of my fish except my rainbow shark and my black skirt tetra. The tank has since been treated, and is ich free (I used the heat method).

For the last several days, the rainbow shark has been chasing the tetra all around the tank. I have an cave for him and some plants for him to hide behind - the cave is at one end of the tank. It has been increasing to the point where the tetra is almost always hiding, and the shark is almost always chasing him around.

I do have two other fish tanks, but they are both brand new and are not cycled yet. I have a 5.5 gallon tank which is partially cycled, probably needs another week. I also have a 10 gallon which I just began with fish food on Sunday.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do about it? Thank you so much!
    -J

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

The tetra needs a school, that would help protect him from the shark. And make him so much less stressed!

If your main tank is cycled, you can use some of that filter media and add it to one of the smaller tanks to get the tetra out of there. But I do think giving him a school, like 6-8 more OF HIS KIND will make a huge difference. The shark will be less likely to pick on a group of 6-8 rather than one poor little lonely fellow!!

3. Greg F

Greg F Well Known Member Member

Rainbow sharks are notoriously aggressive to begin with and 36 gallons are really on the small side for one. Additional tetras might help spread the aggression out but it is unlikely to ever go away completely.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Justin I New Member Member

Thank you for your suggestions!
    At this time, the safest solution was to add some more black skirts without quarantining them (QT tank is not cycled, and has only just begun to show ammonia in the water). I added four more. So far, the shark is being fairly cool, he is still giving chase, but its at least spread out a bit. I will probably drop two or more in next week.

I will keep you posted!
    -J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice