Rainbow Shark Killing Tank Mates? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Adam85, May 10, 2019.

1. Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

I have had a rainbow shark in our tank by himself for a few weeks now. We have tried putting a dalmation molly, a female betta, and 3 glofish with him and all have died. I thought it was the betta so I removed her and then tried just the glofish and shark and now all the glofish are dead. Could he be killing the other fish?

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

What size tank?

3. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

What size is the tank?

edit: nikm128 beat me to it.

4. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

20 gal

5. Kiks

The rainbow shark needs a much larger tank.
    Have you tested the water?

6. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

7. nikm128

Yes that tank is on the small side for a rainbow. That alone would cause aggression issued

8. Kiks

Online anything from 30 to 55 gallons is advised as the minimum.

In a cycled tank there should be nitrates. When was this tank set up and when did you add the fish?

9. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

Tank has been running for around a month. The shark was the first one added at about the 4 week mark

10. Kiks

So the tank has been running for around four weeks... so you just added the shark? In your first post you said you've had him for a few weeks, so a little unsure about the timeline here.

How did you cycle the tank? And have you been testing the water during the cycle to make sure you've had nitrites peak and everything?

11. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

The shark has been doing fine for around a month. Along with the female betta. All my other fish are dying.

12. Kiks

Did you cycle the tank prior to adding the shark?

13. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

Yes. If it wasn’t fully cycled how could those two fish survive?

14. Kiks

Lots of fish can survive less than ideal water parameters. Whether or not a tank is cycled cannot be determined by whether or not the fish are dying. However in your case some of your fish are surviving and some are not and usually when fish die it has to do with water parameters. In this case it could also be because of the shark being more aggressive than usual from being kept in a too small tank. Either way you need to make sure your tank is fully cycled by testing with a liquid test kit and you need to bring the shark back to the LFS or buy a larger tank.

15. nikm128

To me, that indicates that your current fish are adjusted to water that is potentially less than ideal. While the new fish can't adjust in time

16. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

I’m testing with the api kit

17. SeanyBaggs123

SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

Does the shark have any where to hide? Can we see your tank?

18. OP
    OP
    Adam85

Adam85New MemberMember

Yes he has a set of barrels that he likes.