Rainbow Shark Issue Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jo3y, Apr 15, 2018.

1. J

Jo3y Valued Member Member

Hi Everybody!

I’ve had my fellow Rainbow Shark for the past 3-4 years now, he grew lots, I find him obese these days but something is wrong with him, its the second day that he aint swimming and not eating. He is just perched in his « spot » all day long! He usually gets pretty excited about food. I’ve noticed he looks like he has « spines » on his belly. He looks overly obese right now for some reason. Any ideas? I did a water change today and to my surprise my nitrate was too high (around 40ish) I did a big water change... will do another one tommorow. Anything will help except a lecture on the nitrogen cycle hehe...

Here is a pic of him:

Also, I dont worry too much about that scale that looks greyed out, I have a huge DIY background & he gets bruises here and there from scraping or goin too fast on it sometimes... never at the same spots...

IMG_4959.JPG

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Oh god he has dropsy by look of it. His scales are raised like a pineapple.

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah that’s dropsy. Likely due to a combination of poor water, quality. Poor parameters and poor diet.
    QT the fish...add some salt. It will take awhile and there is a high risk of death as well.

4. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

If he’s over feed a pea help in most cases look up how to cook it first

5. OP
    OP
    J

Jo3y Valued Member Member

Darn :( I will research Dropsy for sure but He passed away last night, we just got hit by a bad storm breaking a bunch of hydro poles and didnt have hydro for 23 hours... by the time I was boiling water and doin a hand made filter to then get a generator and all goin on he was on his side... thanks for the info guys

6. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

I'm sorry to hear he died, but to be brutally honest, I've never been able to save any fish with dropsy. I've rescued a lot of fish throughout the years, and most are sick due to neglect. I generally clove oil/vodka the ones with dropsy as once those scales start sticking out, its normally a sign of internal organs failing and fluid building up. Epsom salts can help some, but I find it just stresses the fish more and prolongs the suffering.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice