Rainbow Shark is acting weird? HELP

TigrissDoesFish

I had a rainbow shark anout 3 inches. I placed him in a turtle tank over night. He started acting weird. It looked like he was trying to gulp air. so I moved him into another tank. Now hes acting differently. He is just downward and will keep swimming down and that's it! Whats wrong with him?

UPDATE: I just checked him and he is just hideing. I'm guessing he's stressed. Should I be worried?

Peacefantasy

Moving around too often will cause stress.
What are your parameters, what are you testing with, and what size tank is s/he in?

Aquaphobia

Is/was there a turtle in the turtle tank? Is it filtered, heated, cycled? What about the next tank?

Also, why was s/he moved in the first place?

TigrissDoesFish

Well I can tell you this:
It's a 50 gallon tank, And the last time I checked the PH was normal and Ammonia was none. Also the tank has already had fish for about a month now (Cichilids Fish). Ive treated the water with Stress Coat API and Quick Start API

Aquaphobia

What about nitrites and nitrates? What test are you using? Were there cichlids in the tank at the same time as the shark? Where is the turtle?

TigrissDoesFish

There were two small turtles (About 5-4 inches) and it was a 20 gallon tank. It is heated (Around 65F or 20 C) and it is filtered and cycled. The other tank is a 50 gallon and it also is heated a bit more and is filtherd and cycled (Ive had it with fish for about 1 month)

The reason it was moved was because of my dad. The shark was originally in a 39 gallon tank with a few other fish. The shark became aggressive and started to attack the other fish. To avoid making the shark hurt or kill anymore fishes we decided to move it into our turtle tank until we decide what to do with him. We then decided to place him in our 50 gallon cichilid tank (The reason we didn't place him there first was because we were afraid of him being aggresive.)

Peacefantasy

Couple of things..
First, a rainbow shark needs a bare minimum of 55g.
They also need caves or something to call their own. They are territorial and can be very aggressive without their own space.
Now, as for his swimming issue, I can't tell you.
Although if you had pictures or a video it would help everyone help you.
And I believe 65 degrees is too cold.. it should be bumped up

Aquaphobia

65F is cold. That would be my tank's temp without any heater at all. Are all the tanks he's been through at the same temperature? Do you have an extra thermometer to double check the temperatures?

I'm a bit confused. Is the 39 gallon your dad's tank and he wanted the shark gone? Does he live close or was there travel involved to get the shark to the new tanks?

What are the parameters on all the tanks?

TigrissDoesFish

I know the story might be confuesing but lets see if I can explain it.

I live with my dad in the same house. We have 3 tanks in the house (A 39 gallon tank with semI aggressive fish a, a 50 gallon with african cichilids and a 30 gallon turtle tank) In the 39 gallon tank we noticed that the shark became more aggresive. I wanted to leave it there but my dad suggested to put it somewhere else. He said that we should put it in the turtle tank. I told him not too but we still did it. The next morning I saw the shark was acting weird and quickly knew it was a bad idea to place him in the turtle tank. We then decided to take a chance and place him in our 50 gallon cichilid tank, risking the chance that he may become aggressive. And that's the story.

So far The shark just looked stressed. He seems to be ok with the cichilid and is moving around more

Peacefantasy

It should still be in a minimum 55 gallon and about 74 degrees with his own cave like territory..just speaking with his own best interest

Aquaphobia

Was there a reason you didn't want it in the turtle tank? Something that could have caused problems or illness that you were aware of?

TigrissDoesFish

Well, besides the fact that the turtle tank is coolder than most of our fish tanks, Our turtles are know to sometimes hurt the fish that live with them. Even tho they are small they will try to bite fish that arn't big enought. (right now we only had a goldfish live with them peacefully.
But the shark is doing great in the 50 gallon tank, I think he was just stressed

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
notBrandon
Replies
Views
Grace4514
  • Question
Replies