Rainbow Shark Help

ImpairedFish

I have tried multiple times buying a rainbow shark or albinos and they will not make it in my tank but every other fish added with them lives just fine. I'm lost on what's going on because I want to have a rainbow shark but yet I can't figure out why they don't like the water. Usually they just go to the cave and stay in there until they die, I took the cave out to make them try to be sociable in a way but still no difference. Any tips would be appreciated!

ImpairedFish

CoryFan said:
Water parameters? Tank size? Full stocking?
All my information should be in the Aquarium Details tab on left. I feel like its not over stocked

CoryBoi

Water parameters? you did not cycle your tank I’m assuming?

you also have SO many stocking problems.

BlackMolly99

Maybe your tank isn't big enough for a six inch fish ???
Are there smaller shark like fish you could try getting?
Is the water the right temp. ?
I also read somewhere that they need a 125 g tank is your tank that size?

ImpairedFish

CoryFan said:

I know about the stocking issues, tank is cycled, went on vacation and had an ammonia spike due to not changing the water before I left that caused stocking problems. I'm just trying to figure out why rainbows don't work with my tank

BlackMolly99 said:
Maybe your tank isn't big enough for a six inch fish ???
Are there smaller shark like fish you could try getting?
Is the water the right temp. ?
I also read somewhere that they need a 125 g tank is your tank that size?
Yeah, I've read that as well but I'm just using this tank as a starter until the fish grow big enough to put in a 120 Gallon I bought.

CoryBoi

Corries need to be in groups of 6 for EACH variety, peppered corries cannot stand temps above 76-80.
rainbowfish need groups of at least 6+ and turquoise rainbows need temps below 75 and Australians need temps above 82. And turquoise rainbows need at least 60 gallons.

skirt tetras need groups of 6+

ImpairedFish

CoryFan said:

When you say parameters are you asking for the size of the tank or water test?

BlackMolly99

What if you got a epaulette sharks. I'm not sure if you have a salt water tank, but that is what they need.

UnknownUser

CoryBoi

ImpairedFish said:
When you say parameters are you asking for the size of the tank or water test?
Water test

ImpairedFish

PH 7.4 High Range, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Hardness 30

LivebearerMom said:
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

Temp is high for some of those fish. Ph is low for any livebearer. If you have a 120 gal why not just start the shark off in the correct tank size?
I'm not worried about the live bearers, they're the most active in the tank other than the rainbows and tetra. They seem to be fine with the water as far as I can see.

BlackMolly99 said:
What if you got a epaulette sharks. I'm not sure if you have a salt water tank, but that is what they need.
That's a cool looking shark, wish I had a salt water for that thing.

UnknownUser

ImpairedFish said:
I'm not worried about the live bearers, they're the most active in the tank other than the rainbows and tetra. They seem to be fine with the water as far as I can see.
Well in your aquarium details you told us to reference, the ph is listed at 6.5 which is low. But a ph of 7.4 as you just said you have is totally fine for livebearers.

ImpairedFish

LivebearerMom said:
Well in your aquarium details you told us to reference, the ph is listed at 6.5 which is low. But a ph of 7.4 as you just said you have is totally fine for livebearers.
Yeah, that was off the API strips and the master kit mattigirl told me to buy showed something totally different.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom