Rainbow Shark Help - Tank Size, Lighting, Plants

1. G

GlassBoxOfStuff Valued Member Member

Offered to take an unwanted rainbow shark from a family member's hands. All I have is a 20 gallon long tank. I've read rainbows need a large (55+?) tank due to aggression with tank mates.

I don't plan on having other fish. I think a rainbow would look nice on it's own in a planted aquarium. Will a 20 gallon long suffice if the rainbow shark has it all to himself? Or are tank mates required for stimulation or other reasons? If it is healthy or necessary for the shark to have tank mates, would a handful of white mountain minnows be okay to share the tank?

I'm also worried about lighting. Will LEDs bother the shark? Are they sufficient for plants? What are good plants for the shark? I like the look of water wisteria. ...I have zero experience.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

A rainbow shark will need 55 gallons minimum due to the size they get to and because they are active so they need the space.

He will be happy alone and does not need any tankmates.

LEDs are fine for him. You could try some tough low light plants such as anubias or java fern.

3. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks! Ventured onto the site a few times - finally decided to make an account.

Oh man... From what I recall, the shark is already 4 - 6 inches long. He's currently in a 45 gallon tank with 2 large angel fish (which he occasionally bullies). How long could he be kept in a 20 gallon long? If all else, I think there is a LFS that might buy him...

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If he is already that big I wouldn't put him in the 20g.
    Welcome to fishlore!

5. OP
    OP
    G

Well darn. I was hoping it would work out. He is a beautiful fish! I'll contact my LFS to see if they'll take him. My tank has been cycling for weeks with a new filter and Eco-Complete plant substrate. Would a handful of cory cats be fine in the tank? Edit: Nevermind. I just read corys need a fine substrate like sand. -sigh-

6. Anders247

7. OP
    OP
    G

Oh, just looked them up - love the pattern! Would one be fine with the gravel? Edit: Should note I pulled up the link. Supplying driftwood shouldn't be a problem.

8. Anders247

Yes, they'd be fine with gravel.

9. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks! Will definitely consider one.

10. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks a bunch for this suggestion! Recently saw a live clown pleco in PetSmart. It was tiny and the only one, but was lively and had bright yellow markings. He'd be gorgeous against the black gravel, I think. Hopefully I can finish setting up my tank soon, and go back for him...

11. Anders247

No problem!