Rainbow Shark floating in same spot

kenthebunni

I’m having issues with my albino rainbow shark, today I transferred her to a 20gal tank from a 5gal as well as my 4 neon tetras and 4 mollys 1 albino Bristlenose pleco and 1 kuhli loach(the neons passed within an hour of the tank swap) but she’s been on the side of the tank floating in the same spot for a few hours as well as laying on the bottom. I can see the mouth moving as well as the fins and once in a while she’ll come out and move but then goes back to either spot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

WRWAquarium

Is the new tank cycled? Water dechlorinated?

Fish can be stressed by moving tanks so the behaviour could be related to that.

SuriahAnderson

When I first set my tank up, I used to keep guppies and they started doing something very similar to what you described here. They would sit around in the tank in a single spot for ages, barely doing anything before they eventually died. This happened to me several times until I just stopped getting guppies, to this day I'm still not sure what caused it.

People ask this a lot on this site, but what are your water parameters? I've begun to suspect that my guppies might have died because of a Ph or water imbalance that was fatal to them. Is your tank properly set up to house the rainbow, is the water quality set up to match what this species might need?

kenthebunni

Is the new tank cycled? Water dechlorinated?

Fish can be stressed by moving tanks so the behaviour could be related to that.
I’m not 100% sure if it’s cycled but the water is dechlorinated, the new tank got set up and ran for about 17h before I transferred them to the new. I noticed this morning she’s been inside of her “cave” but I haven’t seen her move at all I’m a bit worried she passed throughout the night :(
When I first set my tank up, I used to keep guppies and they started doing something very similar to what you described here. They would sit around in the tank in a single spot for ages, barely doing anything before they eventually died. This happened to me several times until I just stopped getting guppies, to this day I'm still not sure what caused it.

People ask this a lot on this site, but what are your water parameters? I've begun to suspect that my guppies might have died because of a Ph or water imbalance that was fatal to them. Is your tank properly set up to house the rainbow, is the water quality set up to match what this species might need?
I went to my local petsmart for a water test(im a little tight on money but im trying to do the best I can with what I can do) but the Ammonia level was 0 Nitrate was 0 Nitrite was 0 as well. My water hardness is in the 300 range, the alkalinity is 40 and the pH was 7.2. I believe I’ve properly set it up for my rainbow I have two aquatic plants as well as decor to hide in and around

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Apersau1
Replies
Views
h20intolerant