Rainbow Shark - Black Spots On Dorsal Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Silaes, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Silaes

Silaes New Member Member

I'm not sure if it's anything to be concerned with but my rainbow shark has developed some black spots on his dorsal fin as hopefully you can see in the picture (never stops moving)

Hes still very active and showing no other symptoms from what I can see. Everyone else in tank is looking great still.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

All water parameters are normal 0/0/10 20180410_182158.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list tank size and stocking?

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

3. OP
    OP
    Silaes

Silaes New Member Member

150 gallon. Full stocking is in profile... I do weekly water changes of 30 to 40% and nitrates are around 10 to 15 ppm

4. TexasDomer

Do they disappear and then reappear, or have they stayed the same? Any other fish have them?

5. OP
    OP
    Silaes

Silaes New Member Member

Just showed up today....no other fish have them.

6. TexasDomer

How long have you had him? Any new additions recently?

Black spot disease was my first guess (encysted trematodes, shouldn't affect your fish's health much, just unsightly), though I would have thought the metacercariae would encyst on the body, not on the fins.

7. OP
    OP
    Silaes

Silaes New Member Member

I've had him since January. A couple gouramis were latest addition on weekend. Been monitoring all fish since.

8. TexasDomer

Keep an eye on him and watch for additional symptoms. I don't think it's worth treating the whole tank if it's encysted metacercariae - they won't be able to complete their life cycle and infect other fish with adult flukes.

9. OP
    OP
    Silaes

Silaes New Member Member

Will do. Thank you very much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice