Rainbow shark being a jerk.

Wrench

My rainbow shark today will not leave my pictus alone like at all...through the entire tank.
I'm about to put him on timeout back into the 28 gallon but it is full of tetras at this point and I dont want to hurt them either....but i do not like seeing my catfish stressed out...what should i do?
I have 16 tetras in the 28 gal. And 2 a.d.f and a baby rainbow albino...who I am worried about also over being same breed.

FinalFins

rainbow sharks have the reputation of harrasing anyfish that looks like them or is on the bottom of the tank. Whats the tank size that they are in right now?

Wrench

They are in a 55 gallon tank.
1 dojo loach
1 rainbow shark
1 bala shark
1 Albino pleco.
1 pictus catfish.
They were all in a 28 gallon together for almost 6 months.
He did not do this until today.
I have been stopping him and not gonna lie...kinda chasing him with the net to get him to tone it down.
Not sure what to do at this point...

Dunk2

If you’re truly looking for suggestions. . .
1. Separate the sharks.
2. Get a bigger (much bigger) tank for the Bala.

Wrench

Dunk2 said:
If you’re truly looking for suggestions. . .
1. Separate the sharks.
2. Get a bigger (much bigger) tank for the Bala.
I am already looking for a 150 gal. 200 gal. 6ft long or longer tank for him and the loach.

Debbie1986

I love the look of that fish but purposely avoided it because it's not peaceful. can you put up a temporary tank until a long term solution can be made?

DuaneV

Not only are they known as jerks, but they inhabit the bottom of the tank and DONT like others in their area. Your tanks too small (but you know that) and you have other fish in the area he wants as JUST his.

Wrench

DuaneV said:
Not only are they known as jerks, but they inhabit the bottom of the tank and DONT like others in their area. Your tanks too small (but you know that) and you have other fish in the area he wants as JUST his.
I got him out of the 55 gal. And back in the smaller 28 gal....he immediately calmed down....I mean like somber calm..just cruising now. The rest in the big tank are calm now as well, he stressed the Bala out bad his top finn is not standing up all proud and tall like normal.

Dunk2

Without question, the level of aggression of Rainbow Sharks is often the luck of the draw (varies from fish to fish). BUT, it also depends on the environment they’re kept in.

I‘ve had this guy in a 75 gallon community tank for almost a year now. He shows a very small amount of aggression at times when feeding, but he’s overall one of the best (even peaceful oftentimes) fish I’ve ever had.

Wrench

Debbie1986 said:
I love the look of that fish but purposely avoided it because it's not peaceful. can you put up a temporary tank until a long term solution can be made?
It took me almost an hour to net him and get him in the other tank.....

Dunk2 said:
Without question, the level of aggression of Rainbow Sharks is often the luck of the draw (varies from fish to fish). BUT, it also depends on the environment they’re kept in.

I‘ve had this guy in a 75 gallon community tank for almost a year now. He shows a very small amount of aggression at times when feeding, but he’s overall one of the best (even peaceful oftentimes) fish I’ve ever had.
So was my guy.....I'm not sure what happened as to why he got all ballsy in the bigger tank...you would think he would be happy with a lower corner somewhere and stake that out but he just wants the whole darn tank.

Dunk2

Wrench said:
So was my guy.....I'm not sure what happened as to why he got all ballsy in the bigger tank...you would think he would be happy with a lower corner somewhere and stake that out but he just wants the whole **** tank.
Did you recently move him (and/or them) into the tank you just removed him from? If so, what you saw was likely aggression as territories were being established. Having him in with a Bala also likely made things even worse.

Wrench

Dunk2 said:
Did you recently move him (and/or them) into the tank you just removed him from? If so, what you saw was likely aggression as territories were being established. Having him in with a Bala also likely made things even worse.
I moved all of them at the same time.
The bala,dojo,pictus,rainbow and pleco.
Should I let the other guys establish a spot and then re introduce him back into the tank and let him start over or do I leave him in the 28 gallon?

Dunk2 said:

I moved them 3 days ago.

Dunk2

Wrench said:
I moved all of them at the same time.
The bala,dojo,pictus,rainbow and pleco.
Should I let the other guys establish a spot and then re introduce him back into the tank and let him start over or do I leave him in the 28 gallon?
As I suggested earlier, I would not put the Rainbow and Bala together. Ever.

Diesellur

Sorry I have a question regarding the rainbow as well. I've read that when a fish is becoming territorial, that it helps to change around the environment, like move plants or ornaments that it was being territorial over. Is this accurate? My rainbow is starting to be territorial as well.

Dunk2

Diesellur said:
Sorry I have a question regarding the rainbow as well. I've read that when a fish is becoming territorial, that it helps to change around the environment, like move plants or ornaments that it was being territorial over. Is this accurate? My rainbow is starting to be territorial as well.
I‘ve also heard that changing the “look” of the tank helps (fortunately, I’ve never had to try it) but it also depends on the types of fish in the tank. Some fish just won’t do well together.

Wrench

Dunk2 said:
As I suggested earlier, I would not put the Rainbow and Bala together. Ever.
Then mr.rainbow is gonna have to stay in the 28.

Dunk2

Wrench said:
Then mr.rainbow is gonna have to stay in the 28.
Again, to the extent you want suggestions. . . I wouldn’t keep him there long term.

Wrench

Diesellur said:
Yes I have heard that as well although not experienced it in the old tank, he had his spot at night and just roamed around for the most part.

Dunk2 said:
Again, to the extent you want suggestions. . . I wouldn’t keep him there long term.
I wont.
Ill see if my friend wants the Bala and put him in afterward...he has a substantial tank that would hold him and he would be much happier there I think.

Dunk2

Wrench said:
I wont.
Ill see if my friend wants the Bala and put him in afterward...he has a substantial tank that would hold him and he would be much happier there I think.
Awesome!

You’re in a place we’ve all been in. . . We buy fish and then find out things we could have found out before we bought them.

The best we can do is to learn from those mistakes.

Wrench

Dunk2 said:
Awesome!

You’re in a place we’ve all been in. . . We buy fish and then find out things we could have found out before we bought them.

The best we can do is to learn from those mistakes.
It's just not fair to the bala to be kept in a smaller tank and stunt.
And not fair to the rainbow being in a shorter tank.
I really love the Bala but I cant do that to him/her , I dunno the sex lol

Noroomforshoe

Dunk2 said:
What do you feed him? the one I have had for 6 months is a very finicky eater. just wondering

The Pictus is probobly setting off the rainbow shark.

Wrench

Noroomforshoe said:
What do you feed him? the one I have had for 6 months is a very finicky eater. just wondering

The Pictus is probobly setting off the rainbow shark.
He eats everything...flakes, mysis shrimp,Brine shrimp. Hes not picky.
And no I do not believe so, the pictus was flat out hiding in his plant and tiki man and the rainbow was pursuing him all over.
I put him back in the 28 gal. For now and he has settled down and the guys in the big tank are not stressed now.

Noroomforshoe

Wrench said:
He eats everything...flakes, mysis shrimp,Brine shrimp. Hes not picky.
And no I do not believe so, the pictus was flat out hiding in his plant and tiki man and the rainbow was pursuing him all over.
I put him back in the 28 gal. For now and he has settled down and the guys in the big tank are not stressed now.
Thanks, and, I guess he is just being a bully, Im sure he will be fine temporarily in the smaller tank.

Wrench

Noroomforshoe said:
Thanks, and, I guess he is just being a bully, Im sure he will be fine temporarily in the smaller tank.
Hes calm in the small tank...I think he just got a little arrogant in the big tank haha

Noroomforshoe

Absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom