Rainbow Shark as Centerpiece?

Cosmo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
According to Fish Lore:
"[Rainbow sharks] may not be a good choice for a community tank. They like to stake out their own territory in the tank. This territory can be in the form of small caves, rocks and even plants. They will become aggressive with smaller fish that invade this territory."

How true is this? I wanted one as a centerpiece for my aquarium, but had second thoughts after reading the above.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Cosmo, welcome to FishLore!!!
Your question has been moved to a thread of it's own so it doesn't take away from and confuse Erica0107's questions in her thread.
You'll also get more personalized responses according to your set up.

If you could fill in your aquarium information, it would help the members with your question.
It found under My Settings on the blue bar at the top left.

Thanks!

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I found rainbow sharks aggressive and like to hide in their own territory, so they don't function as a centerpiece well. Depending on your current stock, something like a dwarf gouramI would work better IMO. They are large and flat, colourful, slow moving, and hang out in the upper level and center of the tank. They are also generally peaceful to things that do not look similar to them (not good with other gourami) How big is your tank and what is in it?

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
how big is the tank in question do you have anthing in there fir it to swim under what fish do you have

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
rainbow sharks can be a nice addition, but it depends on the tank size and fish stocked with the rainbow, I have one in a 75 gallon with rainbows br parrots and angel fish all will be larger than him or can swim fast so no problems and I have had him for almost a year. knowing your stocking ideas and tank size would help us help you with our suggestions. best of luck

Cosmo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the input guys. I have put my aquarium info in my profile now . But from what I'm reading, it seems like the rainbow won't be a good fit for my tank after all.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is off topic, but you should keep an eye on your betta in the tank, I think zebra danios can be quite nippy so make sure theyre leaving the betta alone as he's a prime target to this behaviour. and also make sure he's not harassing the small fish either. other than that it sounds like you have a very nice setup

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads