Rainbow Shark And Platies

Fishles

Reaction score
I've got a rainbow shark that likes to chase my platies around the tank anytime he sees them, he is clearly king of the 46 gallon tank but he only chases the platies, he doesn't bother the danios or angelfish or the corydoras either, wondering why he only chases the platies and every time he sees them not just when they are in his favorite spot?
I'm somewhat new to this any any help will be appreciated

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sometimes a fish doesn't like to have a certain group of fish with them. Or maybe he thinks that they look like him? Sometimes fish are just jerks. Is he nipping or shredding fins? Are the platies constantly stressed out or anything?

Fishles

Reaction score
It certainly seems like he just doesn't like those two, they seem to be fine physically, he more chases them not really nipping but they will swim away and then they go back like they are trying to make him mad. The platies will usually go back to swimming around with eachother but every once in a while they will hide in the plants at the bottom for a few minutes before coming back up. I don't think they are too stressed but I could be wrong

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He might be stressed as well, and these sharks get more aggressive as they age. He really should be in a bigger tank as well (48" long is a good minimum tank length for them) - I would worry about him bothering your angels as he ages.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
He might be stressed as well, and these sharks get more aggressive as they age. He really should be in a bigger tank as well (48" long is a good minimum tank length for them) - I would worry about him bothering your angels as he ages.
My albino shark in my dad's 75 is starting to get real mean, and we might rehome him at some point.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom