Question Rainbow Glossolepis Incisus (new Guinea Red) Vs Iridin Vs Glossolepis Pseudoincisus (millineum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mill

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am so confused! Years ago I had a New Guinea Red, which later was identified as Glossolepis incisus. I have looked for one for a long time. Several fish stores sell Millennium Red which I learned are Glossolepis pseudoincisus. One fish store owner claimed the Millenniums were often just Irian but that most fish stores don't know the difference and pay more, ditto to the consumer. Some stores are selling "red rainbows" and others are selling "Red Irian", or have tanks with tags that say Red Irian at a higher price that the ones labeled "Red Rainbow". Good grief.

A fish store owner shook his head and told me, "no wonder you are confused....they are all names for the same fish". I don't think so....the Millennium nor the Irian are as big, as humped, or long snouted as that beauty I had so long ago.

Can a rainbow enthusiast clear this up for me....and where can I find them? Our local stores seem to only carry irian or millennium, which seem to be smaller fish, too.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore hope our members can help you today

Mill

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore hope our members can help you today
given the lack of replies, is the question that difficult, or am i in the wrong forum? Should this be posted in a different section?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Normally if it is a easy question it's answered pretty fast on here. I think it's just a difficult question. I look into it this weekend ask some friends about it.

DougDame

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Per my understanding, Glossolepis incisus is known as Red, salmon-red, Irian Red, and probably some others.

Glossolepis pseudoincisus is a newer fish ... Gerald Allen (1995) says "this species has not been maintained in the hobby" but that info is happily very obsolete .. and is usually called the Millenium or Tami River rainbowfish. The reference below says: "They have a strong horizontal zigzagging yellow and red striped colouration across the whole body."

Since size isn't a good indicator unless you're sure you have adult fish, and the hump is a characteristic of mature fish, if you want to be sure you're buying Gl. incisus, you'll probably need to learn to ID the fish even as juveniles, or only buy where the fish are (credibly) labeled with their latin species names. Since many rainbows take a LONG time to mature, many are sold as juveniles, before they hit their full glory.

Adrian Tappan maintains a GREAT resource on rainbowfish, ==> Melanotaeniidae and Pseudomugilidae

HTH. (Disclaimer: I believe this info is accurate, but I haven't yet kept either species. Studying 'em in preparation.)

Mill

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you, Doug, for your reply. This is very helpful. It sure would be nice if pet stores also used the scientific name in addition to the pop/common name. In my other life I am a Master Gardener, and the lack of scientific names in nurseries for plants is also annoying. My local store has a few "Irian Red" so I may buy a couple and see what happens. Either way I guess they will meld with my other rainbows. Thanks for the assist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 34 63.0%

Top Bottom