Rainbow Fish

1. Fshloover

Fshloover Initiate Member

hey, I’m hoping that someone can help me with a question. I have a 30 gallon I got from a yard sale a few weeks ago. I’ve been interested in some bosmani and Parkinson rainbow fish at my lfs. I was wondering if it would be smart to get some for this aquarium and if they would fit. I was thinking that if I had to get five like the internet says than I would have to eventually have to take it down to a breeding pair? But I don’t know

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry to say that a 30-gallon is too small, and that you're looking at a minimum shoal of 6. I really wouldn't go smaller than a 55-gallon although I must admit that I once kept some Bosemani's in a 45. They were ok, but they really couldn't swim as much as they wanted. Also, when you do get a rainbow tank set up, I'd advise you to stick to one color morph as they're apt to interbreed and produce muddy progeny otherwise.

3. Bigfella

Bigfella Member Member

IMO I would not put these guys in anything less than a 75 gallon. They need room to swim and are very active. I would not stock any tank with the intention of eventually widdling it down to a breeding pair, it isn't fair to the fish and is a waste of your time and money. I would research fish that are compatible for that tank size instead.