Rainbow Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fshloover, May 20, 2018.

1. Fshloover

FshlooverValued MemberMember

hey, I’m hoping that someone can help me with a question. I have a 30 gallon I got from a yard sale a few weeks ago. I’ve been interested in some bosmani and Parkinson rainbow fish at my lfs. I was wondering if it would be smart to get some for this aquarium and if they would fit. I was thinking that if I had to get five like the internet says than I would have to eventually have to take it down to a breeding pair? But I don’t know

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry to say that a 30-gallon is too small, and that you're looking at a minimum shoal of 6. I really wouldn't go smaller than a 55-gallon although I must admit that I once kept some Bosemani's in a 45. They were ok, but they really couldn't swim as much as they wanted. Also, when you do get a rainbow tank set up, I'd advise you to stick to one color morph as they're apt to interbreed and produce muddy progeny otherwise.

3. Bigfella

BigfellaValued MemberMember

IMO I would not put these guys in anything less than a 75 gallon. They need room to swim and are very active. I would not stock any tank with the intention of eventually widdling it down to a breeding pair, it isn't fair to the fish and is a waste of your time and money. I would research fish that are compatible for that tank size instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice