Rainbow Fish With Odd Injury

Pokerchip28

Valued Member
Messages
69
Reaction score
3
Points
43
Experience
1 year
I need help with my raindowfish! He's got this weird red thing on the side of him. It looks like his scales got pulled off or something, or some parasite. Please help!
ec27ddb7262c0f6f9e4da6c0cac4817b.jpg
06dd7afc20ad9d6da13256228fe20400.jpg
ad8578c6febeb06ee46e73cc3d42b214.jpg
0e1a9208604b1bb945155df053bde0a1.jpg
3317863be5e1fb3226db4f7908944156.jpg
4d8ab879e4c590a515d98cd04baec3f9.jpg
42c2a7c90bf0ccf5208f77575cc16b20.jpg
037cb33fb0c6ce98b5697363572e032d.jpg
 

Ste

Valued Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
7
Points
28
Experience
4 years
Its defenitely a parasite that has infected t
Your fish.. make sure to quarantine it right now and give it some met blue.. if its an anchor parasite that looks like a string hanging out of your fish, u can pull it out then quarantine the fish..
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Pokerchip28

Valued Member
Messages
69
Reaction score
3
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Its defenitely a parasite that has infected t
Your fish.. make sure to quarantine it right now and give it some met blue.. if its an anchor parasite that looks like a string hanging out of your fish, u can pull it out then quarantine the fish..
I know it's been a little while, but where to I get that medication? I couldn't find anything for "met blue"

Ok never mind, I just found it online but I'm not sure if that would work, it claims to treat fungal infections, it doesn't say anything about parasites
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,433
Reaction score
1,842
Points
333
Experience
More than 10 years
Methylene Blue.

Not that I endorse it personally.

The mark on the fish does not look like a parasite to me.

I associate these things with poor water quality and the improvement of this is where I would be putting my effort rather than adding toxic chemicals like Methylene Blue to the water.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Pokerchip28

Valued Member
Messages
69
Reaction score
3
Points
43
Experience
1 year
So what do you think I should do as of the moment? I have a quarantine tank ready to go if that is the best possible solution right now.
 

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Messages
2,727
Reaction score
689
Points
168
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a parasite, it is a lesion and can be caused by many bacteria infections. One of the best medicines for this is Nitrofurazone found in a few products (Furan 2).
Methylene blue is not a toxic chemical, it can be overdosed 10 times before becoming hazardous to your fish. It is one of the best general purpose medications for minor bacterial and fungus infections. It will kill your beneficial bacteria as well as the bad bacteria, so it is best administered as a bath.
 

Nauthes

Valued Member
Messages
231
Reaction score
68
Points
63
Experience
2 years
Im not an expert on fish disease but i agree this doesnt look like a parasite to me. More like a lesion or a sore from rubbing against something.

Its really important to keep clean water with an injured fish.
Increase your water change frequency.

I would not add methylene blue to your tank. It will crash your nitrogen cycle.
There are some other anti-bacterial medications, see what your local fish store has. Maybe show them these pictures and see what they suggest.
But clean water is the best medicine in alot of cases.

Remember if you have carbon its best to remove the carbon in your filter before adding medications.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Pokerchip28

Valued Member
Messages
69
Reaction score
3
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Ok thank you! I already had ordered the Methylene Blue, since I didn't know what to do and I decided to go ahead anyways. But do not worry! I planned on quarantining him, I'm not treating the whole tank Oh and I need a little guidance on that, so if I do a bath, which I've not really heard of, how do I do that?
 

Nauthes

Valued Member
Messages
231
Reaction score
68
Points
63
Experience
2 years
In preparation of the dip, use only distilled or RO/DI water. Prepare the solution according to the directions included in the packaging.

Use the water in the bag for the after treatment period. This will help dilute any residues before being released into the main aquarium. It will be sufficient to keep the fish in the “bag” for about 5 minutes before releasing it into the aquarium.

About 12 mg/l will treat a saltwater fish for up to one hour and a freshwater fish for up to 10 minutes. A dip can be as high as 50 mg/l for duration of 10 seconds.

---------------

So basically fill up the hospital tank. Make sure he's acclimated. Or use water from your establish aquarium but RO or DI water is best.
Once he's good and happy administer the Meth Blue.

Keep him in there for the duration noted above depending on the dosage.
fish him out and put him in another container for about 5-15min to rinse
then he can go back into the main tank.

-----------

Not a fish disease expert and I've never actually done it myself. But this is how i know to do it. So if anyone corrects me im sure they're right
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Pokerchip28

Valued Member
Messages
69
Reaction score
3
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Yeah, well thank you all for your advice, but he has died. I think I will know what to do now in the future
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom