Rainbow Fish With Odd Injury

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by Pokerchip28, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Pokerchip28

Pokerchip28 Valued Member Member

I need help with my raindowfish! He's got this weird red thing on the side of him. It looks like his scales got pulled off or something, or some parasite. Please help![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. S

Ste Valued Member Member

Its defenitely a parasite that has infected t
    Your fish.. make sure to quarantine it right now and give it some met blue.. if its an anchor parasite that looks like a string hanging out of your fish, u can pull it out then quarantine the fish..

3. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

4. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

I know it's been a little while, but where to I get that medication? I couldn't find anything for "met blue"

Ok never mind, I just found it online but I'm not sure if that would work, it claims to treat fungal infections, it doesn't say anything about parasites

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Methylene Blue.

Not that I endorse it personally.

The mark on the fish does not look like a parasite to me.

I associate these things with poor water quality and the improvement of this is where I would be putting my effort rather than adding toxic chemicals like Methylene Blue to the water.

6. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

So what do you think I should do as of the moment? I have a quarantine tank ready to go if that is the best possible solution right now.

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Not a parasite, it is a lesion and can be caused by many bacteria infections. One of the best medicines for this is Nitrofurazone found in a few products (Furan 2).
    Methylene blue is not a toxic chemical, it can be overdosed 10 times before becoming hazardous to your fish. It is one of the best general purpose medications for minor bacterial and fungus infections. It will kill your beneficial bacteria as well as the bad bacteria, so it is best administered as a bath.

8. Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

Im not an expert on fish disease but i agree this doesnt look like a parasite to me. More like a lesion or a sore from rubbing against something.

Its really important to keep clean water with an injured fish.
    Increase your water change frequency.

I would not add methylene blue to your tank. It will crash your nitrogen cycle.
    There are some other anti-bacterial medications, see what your local fish store has. Maybe show them these pictures and see what they suggest.
    But clean water is the best medicine in alot of cases.

Remember if you have carbon its best to remove the carbon in your filter before adding medications.

9. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Ok thank you! I already had ordered the Methylene Blue, since I didn't know what to do and I decided to go ahead anyways. But do not worry! I planned on quarantining him, I'm not treating the whole tank :) Oh and I need a little guidance on that, so if I do a bath, which I've not really heard of, how do I do that?

10. Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

In preparation of the dip, use only distilled or RO/DI water. Prepare the solution according to the directions included in the packaging.

Use the water in the bag for the after treatment period. This will help dilute any residues before being released into the main aquarium. It will be sufficient to keep the fish in the “bag” for about 5 minutes before releasing it into the aquarium.

About 12 mg/l will treat a saltwater fish for up to one hour and a freshwater fish for up to 10 minutes. A dip can be as high as 50 mg/l for duration of 10 seconds.

---------------

So basically fill up the hospital tank. Make sure he's acclimated. Or use water from your establish aquarium but RO or DI water is best.
    Once he's good and happy administer the Meth Blue.

Keep him in there for the duration noted above depending on the dosage.
    fish him out and put him in another container for about 5-15min to rinse
    then he can go back into the main tank.

-----------

Not a fish disease expert and I've never actually done it myself. But this is how i know to do it. So if anyone corrects me im sure they're right :D

11. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Ok thank you sooo much! I'll do it today when I get back home!

12. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Yeah, well thank you all for your advice, but he has died. I think I will know what to do now in the future

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice