Rainbow fish sitting in one spot under the filter. 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by allaboutfish, Dec 9, 2012.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I have a turquoise rainbowfish that is sitting ride under the filter and not really swimming around even when the other rainbowfish come up to her. She has seemed like she has a darker color to her also. No labored breathing or red gills though. She seems kind of confused when she swims, often swimming in circles. She also didnt seem too interested in food. She kind of reminds me of dory from finding nemo.
    Temp is around 82. There's a cycled aquaclear 50 on the tank. I cant test ammonia bc i ran out of it today but i can test nitrite/nitrate if needed. Tankmates are 2 turquoise rainbows, 4 Bolivian rams, 1 male betta(in a breeding net). All Juvies and in quarentine.
    Any ideas?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would treat with prazipro. I recently had a similar issue with a new boesmani and it took care of it with one treatment. I hope it works for you the same. There is definitely something wrong with it, though.

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

What is Prazipro and where do i get it?

4. Jaysee

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Does petco or petsmart carry it?

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I found one at a Petland, but it had a big aquatics section and was called "Aquarium Adventure."

Since you can't test, you might as well do a water change just to be on the safe side; that's a lot of fish for a 10 gallon.

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

I did one yesterday. Do you think one today would be necessary?

8. kinezumi89

Probably not, but you could test nitrite/nitrate just to be safe. If there's none of either, then there's a risk the cycle is gone, so you may want to do a small one to be safe. If there's nitrite, obviously do one, but if the nitrates are low, it's probably okay. I don't know how quickly the nitrates would rise with so many fish in a 10 gallon (rainbows and rams need more space, which I'm sure you know, I know this is only temporary).

9. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

How many ounces should i get? My lfs has it in 1 ounce and 4 ounce i think is what they said.

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Yea thy are juveniles. They're in here until Friday and then theyr moving to the. 30 breeder. If this turns out to be treatable.

11. Jaysee

I got the 16 ounce, but I treat all my new fish with it while in quarantine. After their heat treatment. You should be fine with the 4 ounce.

Assuming you get it and start treatment tomorrow, I would not look to add the fish until the following friday so that you can observe them for another week.

12. kinezumi89

It depends on if you want to keep it on hand. I got the 4oz; I think it's a couple teaspoons per 20 gallons (don't quote me on that; I can go get the bottle if you're interested). Anyway, I've done a few treatments on my 55 gallon and haven't gone through much, so 1oz would be plenty for a 10 gallon, if you don't want to keep it on hand for future situations.

13. Jaysee

The dosage is very small - 1 ounce treats 200 gallons.

14. kinezumi89

I just checked the bottle; it's one teaspoon per 20 gallons, and one ounce treats 120 gallons. :)

15. Jaysee

We have different products.

My dosage is 1 fluid ounce per 200 gallons. So that would be 1/10th of a fluid ounce for 20 gallons, which is 0.6 teaspoons.

Maybe it's different because I got the big bottle...

Mine is "for ponds and large aquariums" so it's probably just more concentrated.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. kinezumi89

That would make sense. :) Mine's just the four-ounce one.

17. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok ill get the one ounce tomorrow. And quarentine for another week.

18. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

19. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

If there is something wrong with the fish, quarantining for more than another week is advisable. The entire purpose of quarantine is to not introduce nasties to main tank. So if there is something wrong with the fish, I think one needs to first wait until fish gets well, and then wait a while longer to be more confident that all is indeed well. How much longer is a difference in opinion, how long one is willing to wait and how much of a risk one is willing to take (risk of introducing illness to main tank).

20. Jaysee

That's what I meant - wait a week after the treatment has been completed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice