Rainbow fish school / fish size / lessons learned

New2fishlovinit

Well for any who read my earlier post I will update with the conclusion to the situation.

1st. Lesson was adding fish is not the solution.

The original Red female who was stressed and the reason I tried to increase her school size (hoping to settle her down) is about to pass. She has not eaten in my view in over a week has barely moved around in some time. Over the weekend I rehomed The large adult male and female to the display tank at my lfs (checked on them today and the were ok lil fin nips). The manager is pretty nice and moved all the Gourami out of the tank so the rainbows would not be nipped any more.

so in summery - one fish jumped. Another became stressed. Ordered 3 more to “help” and 2 were WAY out of proportion to the others in size and age, so the rehome. … in the end going to loose the first stressed one anyway. I have the little male still as a replacement for the jumper but am down a female (sad it seems will be soon ) and had to remove 2 Amazing fish because of size issues.

rainbow fish do prefer schools of there own kind - not just other rainbow fish - this lil lady lost the male in her trio and never recovered despite there being 9 bosimani with 6 females.

size can very and rainbows can get much bigger than yo might think. I’ve seen posts that say as many as 3 schools of 6 in a 55 - that’s crazy to me seeing the size of these Reds. I will be staying at 12 in the tank and consider it over stocked as they grow.

imperial tropics is a fl seller that has only sold me amazing healthy fishes I did not anticipate 4-5“ listing would come in 5+and 18 months or more old. If ordering online get the size you need and maybe under size … if a fish has been listed for awhile may be bigger than what yo think.

i hope this info is helpful on what not to do.

big reds - the day I dropped them off. At least they have some room now, my 40 was putting them under to much strain.
You must be registered to see images

in the 40 female hiding stayed like this for a few days but would eat and defend herself … but hid mostly behind filter intake. Can not see the lil one she was hiding in bottom back right corner.

You must be registered to see images

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Fish tile
Replies