Rainbow fish in the freshwater section?

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by JustinF, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JustinF

JustinFValued MemberMember

I'm not sure which category that Boesmani Rainbows fall under in the Freshwater fish section of this website and I was wondering if anyone knows what it would be under. Trying to get as much information about these type of fish as I can, like care, breeding, size, etc.. Thanks

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They are rainbows. You can google them and find several different fact sheet/care sheets. The info is not always consistant between sources, which is why it's good to read everything you can.

3. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Do you know if there is a profile in the freshwater fish section of this website? (not in the form but on the left menu bar at the homepage) Thanks Jaysee

4. Jaysee

I didn't know there were fish profiles on the site! I didn't see it there. What do you want to know?

5. OP
    OP
    JustinF

I've read a few people talk about Boesemani Rainbows on this form in the fresh water section and I need some clearification on how to home them. I think the LFS told me wrong and I'm trying to see for sure. What is the tank size needed some say 20G, some say 30G, & others say 55G - I'm confused which one is required. My fish are happy now but don't know if they will be in the future?

6. Jaysee

Everyone has their own opinions on what is acceptable and unacceptable when it comes to tank sizes. Truth is any tank we put them out is probably smaller than they'd like.

I've seen full grown boesmanis, and they get big. Not really long, but big. IMO, a 55 is needed for a school. I'm putting them in my 90 (same 48" length as 55).

What do you have them in?

7. OP
    OP
    JustinF

I have them in a 20 Gallon right now, just 2 of them and preacox. Will a 30G Long work because my house isn't big enough to go to a 55G. I guess the LFS lied then.:(

8. Jaysee

The dwarf neons will work in a 20, barely. I would move them all to a 30L, yes. I wouldn't get more boesmanis, but would fill the school out with the preacox. The boesmanis will school with them.

9. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Do you know if Petsmart, Petco, or any other source that might sell a 30G long. I've been looking on Craigslist & ebay but no luck there. I didn't see it on either of there websites, do you think it can be ordered?

I just notice you have a ton of tanks, do you have a room dedicated to them? I know that I can add rep points to ya but I can't see it on yours just mine.(that scale thing) Do you know how that works?

:animal0068:Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  10. Jaysee

I think you need 50 posts.

I have them all over the house, and have a few double stands.

I know petsmart does not. Its not a common tank, although my LFS has them. Can't order me fish but he can get weird tanks.....

11. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Thanks for all your help I'll be sure to put rep points on once I get 50 post.
    Good to talk to someone who knows about fish and there care, unlike the LFS.:)

12. Jaysee

Glad to help!

13. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

14. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

I've been working with Rainbowfish (G. incisus, M. lacustris, M. boesemani, M. splendida splendida, I. werneri) since the summer of 2008.

I live in the Caribbean basin and I've had a hard time acclimating them. I managed to spawn the M lacustris but only one specimen survived. I keep them in heavily planted Perfecto 30Breeder tanks, except for the M splendida splendida that I keep in a 48"L 40gal Community tank.

They require swimming space but they usually hang around a lot together, a true schooling fish, which allows, given sound biological filtration, to step over the line of "overstocking/overcrowding" a tank.

M boesemani I kept for almost two years did great until a terrible accident with CO2 killed over 40 of them; three juveniles survived and are now with M laucstris and G incisus juveniles.

I am expecting 100 young specimens (around 1.5" each) from Jakarta, Indonesia next month. All will go to a Perfecto 30Breeder for at least a full year, when I will need to relocate in order to breed.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

15. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Wow, Sounds like a lot of Rainbows, So how many Boesemani can be in a 30 Gallon Long Tank? Sorry I meant 55 Gallon Tank?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  16. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Justin,

This is the best website I have found regarding general Rainbowfish info. There are also a couple of forums dedicated to nothing but Rainbows but this website is a good place to start.

I am currently raising some M. lacustris fry (Turquoise). I got a mop of eggs from a guy in New York and hatched them in a 10G tank. 1 1/2 months later, I have about 30 3/4" - 1 1/4" juvenile rainbows. I have some videos on this site highlighting their weekly progress.

The rainbows are really hardy but don't skimp on water changes and they need open space for swimming. They are also a schooling fish.

Good luck with your bows.

17. OP
    OP
    JustinF

That's a really cool place for information thanks for the tip. I've searched the web before and I never found that site before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice