Rainbow fish help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Landozer18, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

Looking for some reliable information on rainbow fish. Thinking about getting some but want to know how to id them ect in order to make sure I get what I want.

2. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

What type of rainbows are you wanting to get? Are you concerned with getting an absolutely pure strain, or do you just want the colors and social antics? Thinking about breeding them, or don't particularly care?

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

What size tank do you have for them?

Some species are harder to differentiate than others. For instance, millenium rainbows and irian red rainbows are very similar looking, but there are subtle differences. Aside from a few, they are all pretty unique. They are very sociable and inquisitive of whats going on outside the tank. Good eaters, good schoolers, good colors - an all round terrific family of fish.

4. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I can really vouch for them being curious about outside of the tank, whenever im walking around my rainbow tank they are always interested and not for food. I initially thought that but while they will eat they tend to watch what im doing more than eat if they have already been fed.

What are you looking for as far as info goes thou on rainbow fish? and what size tank are you hoping to house them in.

5. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

sirdarksol- I just want the color and antics!

It's a 55g tank that im changing over to a "character" tank.
    Im looking for 1 - 2.5 inch only sized.
    Im looking for info on how to figure out which are which at the store when I go in.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You could save pics on your phone so that when you go to the store you can compare.

There aren't many rainbows in that size range. The smallest of the larger rainbows are the dwarf neons and the maccalochis (sp?) - 2.5-3 inches. Those are the largest I would put in a 55 gallon tank.

Smaller than them, are the blue eye rainbows. Celebes, gertrudes, threadfins, etc. - these won't get bigger than 2.5 inches.

7. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

oh the options and ideas.

8. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Cool. Sounds like Jaysee's got you covered. As long as you're not looking to maintain a pure strain of a species, you can sometimes find some pretty spectacular examples at Petsmart. I've seen some very pretty threadfins. I can't imagine how much more vibrant they'd look once in a larger, healthier, tank at home.

9. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

No petsmart here .
    I've got to rely on petland :(

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I don't know if they ship to canada, but there are a lot of the blue eyes available on aquabid right now.

11. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

I think i've narrowed it down to these in the order listed;
    Celebes
    Threadfins
    blue eyed rainbows
    dwarf neon

Im going to make a post with total tank idea(stocking)

Also can everyone send me pictures of these fish!
    I'd like stressed out pictures or juvenille like they will most likely be in the store when I go to purchase them.
    Im going to save and label them in my phone so I can properly I.D. them.
    Stores miss label all the time and staff usually aren't positive on what it what.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  12. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning, Reminders.jpg

starhanging.gif Please make sure that any photos you post are photos that you have personally taken. All others will be removed. If you can share a link to the photo then please do and the members can look it up for themselves.

Thanks!

Ken

13. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

unfortunately like most of us all my rainbows are VERY colorful and happy lol. There will be some color in the fish you are looking for, just not much. Study the fins of them as they are all a bit different and easy to distinguish once you know what your looking for.

14. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

thanks Ken again,

pirahnah3, What rainbow species do you have?

15. cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

I have rainbows and they are very pretty. I love my turquoise and sepik. My other rainbows will get to large fo what you want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice