Rainbow Fish Has White Growth On Gill And Side??

razsimo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi
I have a rainbow fish that has 2 white growths. One is on the top of the gill and one is on its side. At first I thought it could be a fungal infection but I'm unsure. It protrudes quite a bit and looks fluffy but any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If he tries to scratch it, or if it has a cottony appearance then it is probably fungus. Fungus is more likely to take hold on injured areas, and at a glance I initially thought it resembled an ulcer but there does appear to be some cottony growth

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Columnaris invades muscle tissue and kills it then fungus feeds on the dead tissue as a secondary infection.

razsimo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He doesn't seem to be scratching it and is actually one of the most active and is eating well. would you treat for a fungal infection or bacterial? I have bought king british fin rot and fungus and have melafix already. Or should I buy seachem paraguard??
Cheers

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like lymphocystis. Viral and mostly cosmetic. Think human cold sore. Will not be cured, but in a healthy fish, can be kept in remission. I lost a rainbow to this, but I think she had other problems. Google and read up a bit more about it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom