Rainbow fish dying..Update: down to 1

Mlg222

I had 5 rainbows... they’ve always been fun happy and healthy. I’m down to three, and this is in the last two days. I have lost one per day. Before that they were active and swimming I did not notice any odd signs. I am so weirded out and also very upset.

I still have neons living and Corys which are more sensitive fish so I can imagine it is something with my water, but I tested anyway and my ammonia and Nitrite are both at 0.

I did add some new plants and bought a liquid plant fertilizer, but no one else has been affected in my tank so I can’t imagine that is the case. I really am blown away I usually do not have any sudden or unexplained fish death. Especially within the same species. The remaining three seem healthy and swimming all over, they also just all ate. But so did the others before they died. One of them was a small female so I did not think too much of it, but my largest male was floating this morning :(

I feel bad for the remaining three.. I was to run to the shop to get them some friends but I do not want anyone to die!

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Sorry for your losses :(

Could they of died of old age? It would be a big coincidence if they did go at same time.

Other things could be super high nitrate or a PH shift.

No other inhabitants than corys or neons? Any aggression between the rainbows? Very unlikely I know. Only other thing could be like an internal parasite or disease you can't see.

Mlg222

Wouldratherwatchaquarium said:
Sorry for your losses :(

Could they of died of old age? It would be a big coincidence if they did go at same time.

Other things could be super high nitrate or a PH shift.

No other inhabitants than corys or neons? Any aggression between the rainbows? Very unlikely I know. Only other thing could be like an internal parasite or disease you can't see.
I have a male angel, and a pearl gourami as well. Everyone seems okay! My nitrate is not high either, just tested as well... so odd. I do not think they’re old. I have had them only for like 6 months :( maybe a parasite I sure hope not :(

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Hmmm well angels and gouramis do have the ability to stress and injure other fish with aggression but I think you would know if that was the case.

Im not sure what you can do mate, put it down to just one of those things. If the water is good and the fish are all peaceful together, no visible signs of disease... I would just wait and see how it goes

Mlg222

I posted last week about my rainbow fish dying. I had them over 6 months & never lost one. Then just in the last week, it seems like one died off per day.
I am down to one today. He’s all alone & it’s so sad. They don’t look sick or act sick. I am really in shock. All of my other fish are perfectly fine.
What could be going on??

fallfever

A few questions come to mind...water parameters? Water changes? Tank mates? Hard to say without a bit more information. And they do like having others with them so I imagine it is a bit uncomfortable for the lone rainbow.

Mlg222

fallfever said:
A few questions come to mind...water parameters? Water changes? Tank mates? Hard to say without a bit more information. And they do like having others with them so I imagine it is a bit uncomfortable for the lone rainbow.
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Ammonia is 0 ppm

I change the water weekly. I am doing around half per week with gravel vacuum.

Tank mates are an angel, a pearl gourami, neons, CAE, and corys. I have never seen any fish fighting.

up until their sudden deaths they were very active, always ate, always followed me around. I never noticed anyone of them acting sick, but then I would wake up and one would be missing.

pagoda

The CAE

When more mature they can have a tendency to latch onto slab sided fish such as Rainbows, Gourami etc and kill them

They are fishy Pitbulls...nice when young, downright horrible when older and they lose the taste for algae

Mlg222

pagoda said:
The CAE

When more mature they can have a tendency to latch onto slab sided fish such as Rainbows, Gourami etc and kill them

They are fishy Pitbulls...nice when young, downright horrible when older and they lose the taste for algae
Hmmm he still is young I just recently got him! I have never noticed him to be latched onto any of my fish.

pagoda

Mlg222 said:
Hmmm he still is young I just recently got him! I have never noticed him to be latched onto any of my fish.
They are very partial to the slime coat on stationary fish, mainly at night when lights off and fish are relaxed. Not advised to have CAE in an aquarium with slab sided fish. Once slime coat goes, the fish is more prone to infections and ultimately death. You may find remains within the filter, in or under plants, substrate, ornaments etc

Mlg222

pagoda said:
They are very partial to the slime coat on stationary fish, mainly at night when lights off and fish are relaxed. Not advised to have CAE in an aquarium with slab sided fish. Once slime coat goes, the fish is more prone to infections and ultimately death. You may find remains within the filter, in or under plants, substrate, ornaments etc
Oh no ☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

pagoda

CAE are sold as algae eaters and are often sold as SAE by mistake or just to get rid of them from the supplier.

They will go after larger, slower, slab sided fish, they would much rather attack a fish for its slime coat than eat algae.

I am pretty sure that he/she has been making a meal of your Rainbows unfortunately.

Sorry matey.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
CAE are sold as algae eaters and are often sold as SAE by mistake or just to get rid of them from the supplier.

They will go after larger, slower, slab sided fish, they would much rather attack a fish for its slime coat than eat algae.

I am pretty sure that he/she has been making a meal of your Rainbows unfortunately.

Sorry matey.
I’m just surprised how he could knock out one whole species in less than a weeks time. I have no idea what to do with it, I just called the place I got him from & they said if it’s been longer than two weeks they won’t take it back.

pagoda

Mlg222 said:
I’m just surprised how he could knock out one whole species in less than a weeks time. I have no idea what to do with it, I just called the place I got him from & they said if it’s been longer than two weeks they won’t take it back.
Now you could make a fuss if they sold you the Rainbows and Gourami too

If they did, they should have known that the CAE was classed as semi aggressive and advised you against buying it.....with the added "or did you just want to make the sale and not care?"

I would be inclined to make a fuss over it even if they didn't sell you the Rainbows/Gourami cos they should know not to sell those fish without asking you what it would be sharing an aquarium with and then advising against or refusing to sell it to you when you have slow, gentle, slow moving slab sided fish already.

Stand your ground, have them take it back and refund you...and if they sold the other fish too, they can flippin' well replace them too cos it sounds like they either knew there would be an issue and chose not to inform you or they didn't know when they should have done.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
Now you could make a fuss if they sold you the Rainbows and Gourami too

If they did, they should have known that the CAE was classed as semi aggressive and advised you against buying it.....with the added "or did you just want to make the sale and not care?"

I would be inclined to make a fuss over it even if they didn't sell you the Rainbows/Gourami cos they should know not to sell those fish without asking you what it would be sharing an aquarium with and then advising against or refusing to sell it to you when you have slow, gentle, slow moving slab sided fish already.

Stand your ground, have them take it back and refund you...and if they sold the other fish too, they can flippin' well replace them too cos it sounds like they either knew there would be an issue and chose not to inform you or they didn't know when they should have done.
Yeah I am awful at standing my ground.... I do not have a back bone... I will call again you make a good point. Thanks!

pagoda

Mlg222 said:
Yeah I am awful at standing my ground.... I do not have a back bone... I will call again you make a good point. Thanks!
They have cost you fish and they cost you money to buy, feed etc. They supplied you with a killer, they need to make things right, no excuses. They were in the wrong and you and your fish suffered as a result. Make them pay up, don't take no for an answer.

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

I've learnt the hard way too that it's best to do your research before buying fish. It's so often the case that the employees in fish shops don't know enough!

pagoda

CAE are murderous little blighters and they outgrow many aquariums too when mature. It never ceases to amaze me how many suppliers actually sell them as SAE or even Flying Foxes when they are really aggressive CAE.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
CAE are murderous little blighters and they outgrow many aquariums too when mature. It never ceases to amaze me how many suppliers actually sell them as SAE or even Flying Foxes when they are really aggressive CAE.
They were marked as algae eaters. It was my mistake to purchase without research. I usually do either research or post on here for recommendations. I just saw him and bought for my BBA I was dealing with. Big mistake. I feel so awful for my last rainbow fish. He’s still active and eating but I can tell he misses his buddies... :(

pagoda

Mlg222 said:
They were marked as algae eaters. It was my mistake to purchase without research. I usually do either research or post on here for recommendations. I just saw him and bought for my BBA I was dealing with. Big mistake. I feel so awful for my last rainbow fish. He’s still active and eating but I can tell he misses his buddies... :(
Don't you dare blame yourself matey. They should have had the correct label on their aquarium with a warning on it.

Do not even think of blaming yourself, not your fault at all, you bought it in good faith and you trusted the supplier to warn you either by word of mouth or at the very least a warning on their stock aquarium.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
Don't you dare blame yourself matey. They should have had the correct label on their aquarium with a warning on it.

Do not even think of blaming yourself, not your fault at all, you bought it in good faith and you trusted the supplier to warn you either by word of mouth or at the very least a warning on their stock aquarium.
Will my rainbow be okay for the week? I can’t make it to the fish shop I trust until this weekend to pick up more. I’m getting rid of the CAE today. I got him from a chain petstore. First mistake there!

pagoda

Mlg222 said:
Will my rainbow be okay for the week? I can’t make it to the fish shop I trust until this weekend to pick up more. I’m getting rid of the CAE today. I got him from a chain petstore. First mistake there!
The remaining Rainbow should be fine once the CAE is removed. If the pet store absolutely refuses to refund, have them trade/swap for another Rainbow if they have any there that are decent.

Monitor the Rainbow, check his sides for damage or grazes and treat as appropriate, once that CAE is gone it'll relax more. Just keep an eye on it til you can add some new friends

Mlg222

Also curious what else I can add to my aquarium. I feel it’s so empty now!! My stock is:

1 pearl gourami
1 male angel (I would love a female but I do not want any fights)
1 female platy (rescue)
5 neon tetra (also rescues, want to get more this weekend)
1 sad rainbow looking for his siblings (getting more this weekend)
6 bronze corys

45 gallons. Heated & planted
Water parameters are perfect

pagoda

If you are replacing the lost Rainbows and adding more neons, that will likely be enough stocking tbh, least for a while. It pays not to add too many fish in one go as it can upset the water quality and sometimes stress out the residents already there....dealing with the CAE likely put them on edge, no point overdoing the additions so soon tbh.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
If you are replacing the lost Rainbows and adding more neons, that will likely be enough stocking tbh, least for a while. It pays not to add too many fish in one go as it can upset the water quality and sometimes stress out the residents already there....dealing with the CAE likely put them on edge, no point overdoing the additions so soon tbh.
Agreed!!! My last rainbow thanks you for your help, as do I :)

pagoda

He's a very handsome fish......just as an observation, you might want to put sand substrate for the Cories as they can damage their barbels on gravel/stone substrate. Just a decent size patch of sand will be fine, so that they can dig around in it when feeding :)

Good luck dealing with the CAE...and please do not beat yourself up over it, it wasn't your fault.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
He's a very handsome fish......just as an observation, you might want to put sand substrate for the Cories as they can damage their barbels on gravel/stone substrate. Just a decent size patch of sand will be fine, so that they can dig around in it when feeding :)

Good luck dealing with the CAE...and please do not beat yourself up over it, it wasn't your fault.
I have been wanting to replace the entire substrate with sand for them. I just do not know how to go about doing so. I would love some black sand!

pagoda

Mlg222 said:
I have been wanting to replace the entire substrate with sand for them. I just do not know how to go about doing so. I would love some black sand!
Get a 2 litre empty water or fizzy drink bottle (if using fizzy drink bottle wash and dry it really really well before using it)

Cut the bottom off, turn it upside down in the aquarium, use the neck to push the gravel to one side or away from your proposed sand patch.

Then very very slowly hold the bottle, still upside down, about an inch above the space on the aquarium floor and gently pour the sand into the bottle and just very very slowly pour into onto the space left by the gravel. Do it slowly and no more than one inch above the bottom of the aquarium as it makes aiming it easier and sandstorms less likely

Mlg222

pagoda said:

Here are my rest results too, I just did another just in case the rainbow death causes any issues. I think everything seems to be okay water wise.

pagoda

The water appears to be stable, if it wasn't then you would have lost other species in the aquarium more often and in greater numbers in one go.

Mlg222

pagoda said:
The water appears to be stable, if it wasn't then you would have lost other species in the aquarium more often and in greater numbers in one go.
Thank you!!

pagoda

No worries :)

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom