Rainbow Cichlid Compatible Tankmates Lesson

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had two 29g tanks set up each with one rainbow cichlid and one pair of convicts.

In both tanks, the rainbows got beat up by the convicts when they started spawning. One rainbow is now missing an eye because of it.

Both rainbows have now been moved to my 55g with my BP's, but I wanted to share this to save other rainbow cichlids from the same fate.

Last edited:

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sucks, they are one of the calmest of all Central American cichlids you can buy. I would even go as far as saying they would work in certain community tanks.

On a plus..... you are the perfect person to have a one eyed fish......

Brian

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That sucks, they are one of the calmest of all Central American cichlids you can buy. I would even go as far as saying they would work in certain community tanks.

On a plus..... you are the perfect person to have a one eyed fish......

Brian
Aw, thanks, Brian That's a pretty big compliment. Maybe I'll name him "Jack";D

I ADORE them, too! They're some of my favs! I'm also growing out some rainbow cichlid babies I got from Aquabid. I can't get enough of these guys. They change color with their moods and I love it! Shelby calls them "mood ring" fish

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some Rainbow cichlisd also and they are in a 55g community fish. They are such sweet hearts. I love how they get all bright yellow when they get excited
carol

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have some Rainbow cichlisd also and they are in a 55g community fish. They are such sweet hearts. I love how they get all bright yellow when they get excited
carol
Who are their tankmates? I'm looking to set up their "final" tank their way, lots of plants, caves, and tankmates that won't try to kill them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom