Rainbow Cichlid Care

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

I would just like some help on caring for rainbow cichlids. I plan on getting these fish, and I want to be sure I am prepared. I'm going to type out my plan below and please comment on it where you think it could improve.

Temperature
    Around 78 degrees Fahrenheit
    Ph
    7.0 or 7.5
    Decorations
    Hardscape: Dragon stone, wood, cave inhabited by another fish
    Plants: anubias coffeefolia, anubias nana petite, java fern (all 3 tied to wood), lemon bacopa, dwarf Hairgrass (both planted), and anubias nana (tied to Dragon stone)
    Tankmates
    One orange-finned loach
    Number of rainbow cichlids
    Two.
    Diet
    Peas and spirulina, homemade food containing shrimp, fish, and scallops.

Questions
    1) Where to buy spirulina?
    2) Is there enough cover in the tank? I've read that they don't need too much and also that they need heavy cover.

2. A

Aceranch Valued Member Member

I got rid of mine because they were constantly harassing my plants. Not eating plants necessarily but pulling out and shredding.

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Hm. Well, I've heard from others that they didn't have any issues with this. I'll give it a shot.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I've never kept them, but @Anders247 does. I'm sure he'll be happy to help when he stops by...

5. A

Don't get me wrong, beautiful smallish cichlids. But once mine were mature I couldn't start any new plants. They would nip at established growth and pull out anything I wanted to take root.

6. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Did they pull out already established plants?

7. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I have two pair. Mine eat some plants and leave others alone. For me, duckweed, wisteria,hornwort,star grass is toast the next day. They love string algae they also love zucchini and yellow squash

You can buy a spirolina pellet from Ken's fish

Mine like cover.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

My old one ate plants, my current one does not.

9. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I'm changing my plan to try and do something similar to this tank (picture below). Found it in a book about aquarium design, this is called "flooded Amazon forest aquarium."
    Anyways, new plants:
    Blyxa japonica
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Hygrophila corymbosa var. stricta
    Alternanthera reinekii rosaefolia
    Ozelot sword
    Water lettuce
    Possibly some sort of Anubias

There will also be driftwood. Enough cover for two rainbow cichlids? I'll deal with upsetting the plants if it happens, but which plants are most likely to be disturbed?

Is it just a thing they do, even if well fed? The same foods as listed before, but also possibly veggies given to my snail.
    4af79ecc55afde7ac418a84529a4d439.jpg ac3e5aae6940c64276e2e22b71932f00.jpg e849776f06d10a171a49cc5e92273a0c.jpg

10. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I think those plants will be ok. I had a hair algae problem in my high tech. I have pulled some of those and put them with my rainbows for them to eat the hair mine are chow hounds. When I walk up they are begging. If I put a slice of vege in they are eating it as it hits the water. Great hardy mild mannered cichlid

11. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Thank you! That's so cool! These will be my first cichlid (I've always admired cichlids).

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I have that same book, I recognize the pics. Nice!

13. A

That's my male rainbow. That bolbitis in the background is toast. The anubias is fairly safe. f1c84f4da46604af55c7a9c976c7d11d.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

He's so pretty!
    Okay, thank you. I'll have to see if mine munch on any plants when i get the fish.