Rainbow and Red Tail help?

redwolf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 29 gallon tank and I recently got a Red Tail. My Rainbow shark keeps chasing it around relentlessly. I moved everything around in the tank (rocks and plants) and the Rainbow still chases the Red Tail. The red tail, which is a lot smaller than the rainbow, is losing some of her color. She's pale and her tail hardly looks red. She gained a little color back when I moved everything, because before that she was looking deathly white and to be honest, it scared me. I don't know what else I can do to get the rainbow to stop chasing the red tail. Anyone have any ideas?

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Unfortunetly it probably won't stop, resulting on the death of the bullied one. Redtail sharks and Rainbows sharks are very territorial and aggressive, so incompatible in smaller tanks. To have 2 you need maybe 75 gallon. They are no good tankmates, particularily with their own kind or similar shape bottom dwelleres.

I suggest to remove one of them, you can always try to bring it back to the fish store.
Sorry

Here are their profiles:
https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_rainbow_shark.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello RedWolf and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Sadly I have to agree about the aggression and territory issues these two sharks have. Personally I feel these fish should be limited to one per tank regardless of the size tank. Others may have different opinions.

I have a Rainbow shark in my 265g and there is no way I would consider adding a second or a Red Tail shark to the community. My Rainbow gives my Silver Dollars a big time chase. There hasn't been any severe damage other than a nipped fin. The Silver Dollars are very fast and they have tons of room to escape.

Maybe a 2nd tank is in your future?

Best wishes. I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

redwolf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, both of you. I'd hate it if my red tail died, since that's my favorite type of fish, ever. I'll talk to the person at the fish store (Its a privately, locally owned store) and see what I'll do. You both helped alot.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to help RedWolf,

Maybe you can work out an exchange or store credit Keep us posted.

Ken

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If they allow you to return 1, return it.
Trust me, it is just a matter of time where the bigger one send the smaller one to heaven.

redwolf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just a little update on the sharks:

We moved the rainbow to another tank, and I immediately saw an improvement in the redtail. We're seriously considering either returning the rainbow, or preferably, exchanging it for something else (If that's allowed. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see for sure.) But for now, they are doing well now that they are separated.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to hear it RedWolf!

Ken

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the Redtail is doing better. You are doing the right thing by separating them
Best wishes

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
glad to hear that things are doing better, I have both the rainbow in a 75 gallon and the red tail is summer breaking it in a 20 gallon until school starts back up and he goes back to his 55 gallon tank, I love both of them

redwolf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yea, we got rid of the Rainbow, sadly. I love both of them alot, but I have to say my loyalty is with the Redtail. He's thriving now.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello RedWolf,

I know it isn't easy to give up our fish, but I feel what you've done was best. I think you and all of the fish concerned will be much happier.

Keep us posted!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads