rain water vs tap water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steveredlakefallsmn, Apr 6, 2010.

1. steveredlakefallsmn

steveredlakefallsmn Valued Member Member

i am wondering if it would be a good idea or not if i were to use rain water instead of tape water,also what is better,artifitial or real plants.

2. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

Real plants are generally considered better because not only to they feel more natural to your fish but they also help improve your water quality by removing ammonia straight from your water. They do require a lot of up keep and special lighting but I definitely think theyre worth it :)

I dont know that much about rainwater v. tap however, but I would guess rainwater would be somewhat unstable and I personally wouldnt use it.

3. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

Rainwater will have 0 carbonate hardness. Great for softwater fishies. It will not have any minerals, harmful or beneficial. It will contain dirt and pollutants from the air and the drain system you use to collect it. So unless you are working with some species of fish that requires super soft water, I wouldn't bother with it. The water from the tap is too convenient and with proper conditioning is fine for 90% of the fish we keep.

4. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Valued Member Member

Here in the Ohio valley my water is like liquid rock. I collect rainwater and use it all the time.

It is as soft as water can get with no carbonate to buffer your ph. But a pinch of my tap to a gallon of rain and it works wonderful for me... and has for many years now.

Dennis

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

My only LFS uses rainwater as that is his only source but it's acidic and works fine for his fish stock.

6. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

I use rain water and tap both for various tasks in changing the conditions in order to trigger spawning no trouble with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice