Ragged Betta Fins

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by guzophela, Jan 27, 2013.

1. guzophelaValued MemberMember

So this is what the betta from my icon looks like now:
    DSCI0142.JPGDSCI0148.JPGDSCI0149.JPGDSCI0150.JPG

And I'm wondering if it's fin rot or if he just ate his tail... I did get a little behind on his water changes when he was in the 2.5 (he in a divided 10G now), but he seemed fine before just getting super bad. After I got on top of the changes his tail seemed to be growing back, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do... Should I use Maracyn Two at this point, or will he be fine in the filtered 10G? I feel like a terrible fish mom because he isn't the only fish I've got with a tattered tail (the other guy either ate his or had it torn in the filter that came with the 2.5G), but they're both half-moons and I've heard it's not uncommon for them to chew off their tails...

Also, what else can I do to encourage tail growth?

2. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

Sorry about your betta. Stay on top of your water changes of at least 50 % every week. Twice a week for a while wouldn't hurt until they start to look better. Kordons fish protector is great for helping frayed fins, missing scales, bruises etc. It has vitamin b-12 and organic echinacea in it also. It helps to reduce infection and helps with stress. You could use it every day or weekly. Amazon has it. I hope this helps and your fishies get to looking better!

3. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I believe betta actually do not like their tails in some cases and them eating it is a possibility as they find it hard to swim with.

The best thing now is clean water, that always speeds up any fish recovery!

4. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

5. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

if you have been neglecting water changes then you need to start there. id do as many as you can for 2 weeks. every other day would be great, say around 40%. then like suggested add some kordons fish protector and vita chem, there natural and will help.

also make sure you feed good foods. new life spectrum pellets are great food. you can also soak there food in garlic. either fresh or seachem garlic guard. garlic boost the fish immune system.

if there not getting better after the two weeks use maracyn 1 & 2 together.

6. guzophelaValued MemberMember

I haven't heard of that product before, I may give it a try if he doesn't improve more. He is improving, it's just going very slowly and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again or get worse. Never falling behind on water changes again! ;A;

7. guzophelaValued MemberMember

Excellent, I'll keep that in mind!

8. guzophelaValued MemberMember

Actually there was one thing in his tank that seemed a little sharp, terrible to clean too. He's got silk plants in the tank now since I heard they were better and has been upgraded to a divided 10G. The torn fins didn't start until after I removed the dinky filter from the 2.5G he was in, but right now I'm waiting for an AquaClear 20 filter to arrive (I've heard good things about them, plus the adjustable flow) because the tetra whisper filter was WAAAAY too strong.
    Thanks for the link as well! I'll definitely check it out!

9. guzophelaValued MemberMember

I've never heard that about the garlic! Thanks!
    I'll try upgrading his food, right now he's on the Aqueon pellets, but I didn't know there was something better! That'll be step number one. I've got maracyn two right now, but hopefully I won't have to use it...

Is 2 weeks the general timeline for seeing improvement with treatment?

10. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I would put the filter back in. Like I mentioned in your other thread, when I had to remove the filter out of one half of my divided ten gallon, the betta's fins in there really took a turn for the worse.

11. guzophelaValued MemberMember

New filters will be here tomorrow so that'll be good then! The tetra one really is too strong though, the guy on the side with the filter couldn't get up to the surface well and I was worried he wasn't going to get enough air. :(

12. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

That's good!

I am getting super confused with your two threads, I keep getting them mixed up ;)

13. guzophelaValued MemberMember

On a related note, anyone know what the heck is going on with this guy?
    DSCI0159.JPG

People keep telling me color change, but he's getting these bright red parts of his fins, tiny parts, but they're falling off and it's freaking me out. People were also telling me to just use aquarium salts and it should be fine, but those haven't seemed to help. I've heard a lot of discouragement from using maracyn two at this point, especially in a 2.5G which is now my medical tank, but I want to know what you guys think...
    He's a very active fish still and someone suggested euthanasia (they suspected he has septicemia) and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

14. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

If the flow on your filter is too strong, try packing it with alot of media. It could help slow the flow some. And also a pre-filter sponge or a small aqua clear sponge slit to slide up on the intake would help to slow the flow and it would also help keep the betta's tail out of the filter. Hope this helps! Good Luck and i hope things start looking up! :) p.s. I use fluval pre-filter sponges on my aquaclear intakes or any intakes for my smaller fish so they wont get sucked in the filter. They work really well. UPDATE: I would try to start them on garlic and vitachem ASAP. It does wonders!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  15. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

NO don't euthanise him. People throw that around too much! Those are normal red spots, I see them a lot :) Septicemia is read streaks; Google it, you'll see they're very different. Has he been in similar conditions as the red/blue one? Maybe a similar cause?

How many bettas do you have, anyway? :p I'd have all of them if my boyfriend would let me ;)

16. guzophelaValued MemberMember

Hmm, alright! I'll be ordering some vitachem tomorrow then! I've no idea how to go about the garlic, but I'll upgrade their food at least and hopefully that'll help too.

And thanks for the advice about the pre-filter sponge! They've got that kind at my local PetSmart, it looks like, so I'll be able to get those for tomorrow when I put the new filters in.

17. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

You can get a product called Garlic Guard; it's a liquid you soak their food in. Trust me, it's very garlicy! You can make your own garlic juice but to me that's a pain :)

18. guzophelaValued MemberMember

Haha, I've got 4. I know part of it is coloring, but I'm more concerned about the parts that have fallen off on his dorsal and anal fins. He was in similar conditions as the red/blue one, but his tail was destroyed by the filter that came with the 2.5G and then he started nipping it. He seemed to get better with aquarium salts and fresh water, but then his fins stopped growing back and the red streaks at the end of his fin started. He's actually got a bright red piece hanging off the top of his dorsal fin now... :(

DSCI0159.JPG

19. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

The garlic i use is called garlic guard. It is bySEACHEM. I just take it put their food whether it be pellets or frozen bloodworms,krill etc. and put it in a small plastic cup with a small amount enough to cover the food and let it soak for at least 15 min. If your pellets are small, they may go to mush when soaked so just experiment on how long to soak them. It would be a good idea right now to give them garlic and a couple of drops of vita-chem everyday. It is all natural. The garlic guard last awhile and i use it all the time. I truely believe in it. It builds up their immune system to fight of disease and illness. You can find it at a lot of places on the internet. I think i ordered mine from AMAZON. Also like someone mentioned earlier, NEW LIFE SPECTRUM THERA-A foods are awesome!!! They have garlic in their food and this is what i feed my fish. It does'nt hurt a thing to feed this food soaked in the garlic. I do it all the time. Kensfish.com is where i ordered from but there are other places also.

20. throwthesandValued MemberMember

I use a product called melafix, available at most pet stores. It will help regrow fins, and is also useful for many other types of wounds. That's one resilient fish you've got there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice