Radioactive Cucumbers?

Fishitryhard

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yesterday, I wanted to put a chunk of cucumber in my aquarium for my fish to nibble at, so did. The cucumber was skinned, and cold because of the refrigerator. I put the chunk in, and my goldfish didn't take to it. I figured it was because the cucumber was too tough. I took the cucumber out of the water and threw it in the microwave to soften it. When I started heating it, the microwave lit up! It was like the sun was in my microwave, and it was making a lot of noise like an explosion! Was this the cucumber or the aquarium water on the cucumber? I've treated my tank in the past with Stress Coat Plus, Prime, Algaefix, Ammo Lock, and Stability.

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Whoa that's odd. I'm assuming you didn't have any metal in the microwave.

Crazy. I've never put a cucumber in the microwave. Maybe I'll try it.

JessicaSwanlake

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some veggies and fruits can do that in microwaves, it's from the trace metals in them. They can spark or form little arcs of light (as electromagnetic waves). I know kale and bell peppers can, not sure what the concentration of metals are in cukes compared to those, or it could be disolved metals in your tank. Unfortunately, the ingredients in basically all of Seachem's and API's productsare trade secrets so it's impossible to know for sure which caused it.
The cucumbers wouldn't be radioactive or dangerous to you or your fish but I doubt your fish would eat it as it probably has tiny (or large) burns on it after it "arcs" like that. It can damage your microwave but you would probably have to do it repeatedly or for long periods of time.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazy, mine never do that. Well I nuke before they’ve hit the aquarium water. Interesting.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should blanch vegetables first before adding to your aquarium.

LeahsTank

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just hold mine under the hot tap for a few minutes until it’s soft.

New Threads