racoon or copper banded?

andy65

We have a BAD pest anemone problem. We are thinking of just getting a butterfly fish, Its has come down to a racoon or copper banded. Any one had any luck with any of them?

The pest anemone are not glass anemone AKA Aiptasia. If they where we would get peppermint shrimp but they do not work for majano anemones,which is what we have.

We know that we are going to lose most of the soft coral but there is not really anything in there that we like and the ones that we do we can move to the Refugium for safety.

Thanks

TFA101

I would have to choose copperband. Now, I have had no experience w/ saltwater tanks at all whatsoever, but I do know a little about them. Copperbands are one of the hardier butterfly fish and they do a pretty good job at cleaning off parasites

Salvatore

I would have to disagree with TFA. As far as I know the copperband is a very difficult fish to care for but I may be wrong!!

Mike

Yeah, the Raccoon butterfly has a better reputation for being hardier/easier to keep than the copperband, but it can pick at corals. I think it's hit or miss with CBB's going after majano anemones. Are you running a protein skimmer? They're not as prolific as aiptasia and limiting the nutrients in the tank should help deal with them.

andy65

the skimmer is "going", we are having a hard time getting it "dialed in".

I think they are aiptasia,not majano, as they have made over 20-30 new little ones in a day!

Oil_Fan

If it is, then from what I've heard, you'll want some peppermint shrimp. They apparently eat up the stuff!!

andy65

well... they ARE majano If they weren't it would have been a bit easier for us.

stuff was suggested to us for them and it's brand new to the market. Plus, its by Red Sea. My dad ordered 2 things of it and a new non-glass heater for the tank. The stuff should be here by Thur. I will let you guys know how it works.
Heres hoping!

Mike

Yeah, let us know how it goes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
Replies
Views
Zach72202
  • Skuter782
  • Snails