Rabbit Snails Not Eating!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by PraptiPanda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

My recently purchased rabbit snails (black with white spots) ignore everything I put before them. I have tried blanched spinach, cucumber, algae wafers and even deshelled peas, but they just nibble on it for a few seconds then get on with cruising the tank. They're in a 1 gallon qt tank with a betta- are they not eating because it's uncycled? I am pretty diligent with water changes, till their 1 week qt is over. They do sit on the Indian almond leaves though- could they be eating that?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Huh, that's weird my rabbit snails are little pigs. If you see them nibbling it though then they should be ok. Only thing I can think of is maybe the water is too cool? They like very warm water 80f+

3. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

The temperature here rarely dips below 75f, so I don't use heaters. And if the temperature was the problem, wouldn't they be sluggish? They roam around all day.

4. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Are they getting uneaten fish food, bio film, or maybe algae? When they get on the glass can you see their little rasps going? It's odd that they're passing up spinach and cucumber, though. Keep in mind that snails don't need much food. They're cold blooded and, being so much slower than fish, use less energy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice