Rabbit Snail Temperature

Renaissanista

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't find where we were discussing this topic.

I have found very recently that the lower temps I have kept the aquarium in this summer have indeed effected my younger snails.

When it was ranging 78 to 82 in winter....there were. ZERO deaths and profuse breeding.

When it was kept around 76 with minor variation from 72 to 79, I had a handful of baby deaths.
All adults have been fine.

No serious change in activeness, but definitely more active at higher temps.

So I think adults can cope with lower temps, but babies cant tolerate lower temps constantly as well as adults.

May be why they release more of their babies in higher temp periods.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is pretty much the definition of temperature requirements ;) Rabbit snails need higher temps, 80 is a good place to be but they will be fine +/- a few degrees. At lower temps the rabbits become less active, breed less, eat less, and for a growing baby that means illness or death. Also, I wouldn't say fluctuation from 72-79 is minor for critters that expect a steady temp. Baby fish/inverts don't do too well with such fluctuations as it is.

Live and learn I guess. I had a brief period of baby rabbit deaths but that was when I moved them to their new tank and cut back on feedings to make sure there was no mini-cycling mishaps.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom