Rabbit snail baby madness

Dezbian

Hi guys!

So I got a rabbit snail for my tank about half a year ago? I thought it'd be nice to not have a ton of babies like mystery snails. One or two cool but 100s, no! So the awesome rabbit snail became my choice.
Then it happened. I see one baby and think ok cool they say more than one is rare so it must not happen often....then I see two, again ok cool buuut wheres this going...then the third one and I'm in awe and asking what is going on lol. I look in the tank today, a month or so later, and there's two new babies!
My only question is why is my rabbit snail making so many babies all on her lonesome...

Fisch

Can you post a picture? You are sure they are rabbit snails and not pest snails?
You can try to sell them

Dezbian

Can you post a picture? You are sure they are rabbit snails and not pest snails?
You can try to sell them
Yes I'm sure they are rabbit snails here's a picture of one of them...I've never had a pest snail and I've got no new plants in the tank for almost a year

Attachments

• 20220621_205404.jpg
    20220621_205404.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220605_081023.jpg
    20220605_081023.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 25

OnlyNobody

Hi guys!

So I got a rabbit snail for my tank about half a year ago? I thought it'd be nice to not have a ton of babies like mystery snails. One or two cool but 100s, no! So the awesome rabbit snail became my choice.
Then it happened. I see one baby and think ok cool they say more than one is rare so it must not happen often....then I see two, again ok cool buuut wheres this going...then the third one and I'm in awe and asking what is going on lol. I look in the tank today, a month or so later, and there's two new babies!
My only question is why is my rabbit snail making so many babies all on her lonesome...
LOL so lucky
I guess maybe it has ample space, good water quality and enough food?
Rly interesting tho

V1K

It must have been fertilized right before you bought it, so now it has some reserve for the future. Is this just a weird lighting or are the babies green? Is your mama snail also green?

Dezbian

It must have been fertilized right before you bought it, so now it has some reserve for the future. Is this just a weird lighting or are the babies green? Is your mama snail also green?
The tank is over run with algae :(
LOL so lucky
I guess maybe it has ample space, good water quality and enough food?
Rly interesting tho
Lucky or ?? It's only a 20 gallon

V1K

Oh, I thought you had some rare breed :D :D

Well, don't grow them to full size then, sell them as soon as they get bigger than a large Malaysian trumpet snail. Rabbit snails cost good money. You may not get as much for small babies, but they're still worth a couple of bucks, which is better than nothing.

Fisch

I would buy one or two :rolleyes:

OnlyNobody

Well i meant lucky in the sense that it seems quite hard to get rabbit snails loool. Selling them can get you more than it cost to buy the 1 rabbit snail you bought.
For me having algae is a good thing cuz it feeds a lot of my fish but i cant seem to grow any. Just get a few otos to clear them up i guess.
I got an oto b4 i knew they need to be in a school. One single oto cleared up my old 10 gallon tank of algae in 2 days.

ForBettaorForWorse

As long as they're not MTS, I'd take some eventually too:)

Dezbian

I would buy one or two :rolleyes:

As long as they're not MTS, I'd take some eventually too:)
Mts? And I'd totally let either one of you if I wasn't terrified of mailing live animals or scared of charging people for something that may die in transit. It's probably to the lfs for me sorry guys :( safe snailies and what not

Debbie1986

Malaysian Trumpet Snails MTS

the breed like rabbits! babies everywhere.

I have purchased snails online: ramshorn, mystery snail and assassins. I don't recall losing any in transit or soon after delivery.

the seller sends the snail in a cup or baggy with air and a white paper towel soaked in tank water.

It's usually 1 day shipping and costs a bit around $15.00. so selling them isn't as risky as say 5 years ago where the animals could be in transit for a week etc do to lower shipping times/costs

snails are imo very hardy for shipping with proper care.

Dezbian

Malaysian Trumpet Snails MTS

the breed like rabbits! babies everywhere.

I have purchased snails online: ramshorn, mystery snail and assassins. I don't recall losing any in transit or soon after delivery.

the seller sends the snail in a cup or baggy with air and a white paper towel soaked in tank water.

It's usually 1 day shipping and costs a bit around $15.00. so selling them isn't as risky as say 5 years ago where the animals could be in transit for a week etc do to lower shipping times/costs

snails are imo very hardy for shipping with proper care.
Still a no go for me lol

Noroomforshoe

Sell them on craigs or facebook or something, dont give away $12 dollar snails. Or at least make sure the pet store offers you somthing worthwhile as a trade.

Dezbian

Sell them on craigs or facebook or something, dont give away $12 dollar snails. Or at least make sure the pet store offers you somthing worthwhile as a trade.
They only sell them for 7-8 up here when they are available so I still don't think I could get that much. But obviously I wouldn't give it to them? I said I'd take them to the lfs not give for free lol

Lucas35

To me it looks like the snails in the picture are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I have them and I am sure that’s what is in your picture. That also explains the rapid breeding which is rare for rabbit snails.

kallililly1973

I also believe they are MTS… we have hundreds of them… from my understanding rabbit snails only breed one at a time and only a couple times a year or so.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • michaelsf90
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Renaissanista
  • Question
  • CoronaExtra
  • Snails
Replies
Views