Rabbit got out of pen again!

bolivianbaby

Goliath got out of her new, heavier pen this morning. This time, I have no clue how she pulled it off.

She can't keep doing this. There are wires in that room and I do not want her getting hurt. It's a 4' x 4' cage, so it's not like she doesn't have room. She gets nightly time to romp (using a lighter pen) for safety.

I REALLY do not want to put her in a rabbit cage like you buy at the store. I do not think they're big enough.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Lucy

A room of her own with bars on the door and a lock?
Sorry couldn't resist.
Remember, she's only going to get bigger! :shock:

bolivianbaby

A room of her own with bars on the door and a lock?
Sorry couldn't resist.
Remember, she's only going to get bigger! :shock:

That's actually not a bad idea.

I joined a rabbit forum and I've e-mailed two rescues for ideas on how to keep her in her "not so small" cage. My next step is to put brick on the outside of the cage to "frame" it. If she can't move the cage, she shouldn't be able to pick it up.

One person suggested I just give her free run of the room I don't think she realizes just how many hazards (wires and animals) there are to an unsuspecting bunny in this house.

Plus, I AM NOT rehoming my birds and fish that are up there in her room. She's going to have to learn to stay in her cage. Somehow, I think that translates to "human will have to outsmart VERY smart bunny";D

Aquarist

I think Goliath has been hanging around Shawnie's "nawty" Bloody Parrots. I have to give Goliath one of these ROFL.
Ken

bubblefish

Are you sure she's lifting the pen to get out? My bunny Bud, used to climb up and over. I thought he was lifting as well and had used those strap on ankle weights (he was just a little netherland dwarf bunny) to weight down the pen and he was still getting out. After a couple weeks, I caught him red handed climbing out.

bolivianbaby

Are you sure she's lifting the pen to get out? My bunny Bud, used to climb up and over. I thought he was lifting as well and had used those strap on ankle weights (he was just a little netherland dwarf bunny) to weight down the pen and he was still getting out. After a couple weeks, I caught him red handed climbing out.

I'm not 100% positive she's lifting, but I'm about 90% sure.

Okay, so to cover all bases (she's in a very small cage until I get this resolved-I decided it's safer than her electrocuting herself), I should also create some type of top and weigh it down? I can do that. The cube things they use to make guinea pig cages would work for that. I can get several, put them together, create a roof and we're good.

Do you think that would work in addition to the bricks?

bubblefish

It should. It's probably a bit cheaper than what I had done. I purchased another pen and used the wall panels as a roof. They can chew through thinner guage wire so you want to used a thick guage wire to attach the roof.

It's tough when you don't know how ther are getting out. I was so frustrated until I saw what he was doing. I had no idea he could climb. Looking at them, you wouldn't think they could.

bubblefish

I'm not convinced you need the bricks. Their first move is to try to dig under to tunnel out. I think that's why the lining was pulled and bunched in your other post. When this doesn't work, they climb. Their muzzle area is so sensitive that I just don't think she's lifting. Do you see any irritation around her muzzle or nose?

bolivianbaby

No irritation around her muzzle or nose.

I was up there a few minutes ago watching her after I put her back in her pen. The pen is only 36" high. I thought it was 48". I'm thinking you're right that she's climbing. I'm going to leave her in the pen while I'm home and I can keep an eye on her and I'll put her in the cage tonight. I should be able to get the supplies tomorrow and she'll be safe again.

bubblefish

This is what I did with Bud. Bud found fresh alfalfa sprouts irresistable. I put some in a bowl and put the bowl outside of his pen about 2 feet away. Once he smelled the alfalfa, he was so fixated that he wasn't paying attention to me. I was standing by the doorway just outside of the room. I was amazed how quickly he climbed over to get that alfalfa.

eiginh

The title reminds me of a song from Britney Spears, "Oops I did it again"

Sounds like you have an adventurous bunny!

This is what I did with Bud. Bud found fresh alfalfa sprouts irresistable. I put some in a bowl and put the bowl outside of his pen about 2 feet away. Once he smelled the alfalfa, he was so fixated that he wasn't paying attention to me. I was standing by the doorway just outside of the room. I was amazed how quickly he climbed over to get that alfalfa.

Nice...caught red handed

bolivianbaby

UPDATE:

I found where the pen is bent (from her weight). She definitely climbed out.

Bubblefish-I'm amazed at your intuition

I'm going to try just using boxes (I have plenty from ordering online) to create a roof. On a rabbit forum, I was told she probably won't try to get out if it looks like it has a roof. I also need to get her "den" made (out of another box, of course) ASAP so she doesn't feel so exposed.

Hopefully, this'll put an end to it.

More importantly, this will take less time so I have a better chance of getting the rest of these tanks up so I can go to the fish auction on Sunday!

Shawnie

you and your crazy kids!!!!
I don't know how you do it woman!!!!!!

Amanda

I don't know how you do it either!

bubblefish

Wow, she actually bent the pen? Thanks but I can't really call it intuition. I set up little Bud and caught him. I would never have guessed if I didn't see it myself.

I hadn't thought of using cardboard. I think it'll work just fine as long as it's fastened really well and she can't get at the edges to chew them.

I'm glad you now know how she's been getting out.

bolivianbaby

Wow, she actually bent the pen? Thanks but I can't really call it intuition. I set up little Bud and caught him. I would never have guessed if I didn't see it myself.

I hadn't thought of using cardboard. I think it'll work just fine as long as it's fastened really well and she can't get at the edges to chew them.

I'm glad you now know how she's been getting out.

She's a little "hefty" I've attached some pics of the "new" cage. I'm going to have to find a bigger box for her hutch, though. The first pic, I just couldn't resist posting it. It's just too cute!

I may put the smaller cage in there and put a sheet or something around it for darkness. I'm not sure yet.

Let me know what you think, please.

Attachments

• Bunny Says Boo.JPG
    Bunny Says Boo.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Goliath 1.JPG
    Goliath 1.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Goliath 2.JPG
    Goliath 2.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Goliath 4.JPG
    Goliath 4.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 163
  • Goliath 5.JPG
    Goliath 5.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 162

lorabell

lol...I'm really am laughing!!!!! She looks like shes in jail!!!!!(1st pic)....She is adorable!!!!!

bolivianbaby

lol...I'm really am laughing!!!!! She looks like shes in jail!!!!!(1st pic)....She is adorable!!!!!

Thanks, LorI We love her! She's a fun part of the family.

Did your friend have luck calling the woman?

bubblefish

That first pic is priceless. "Let me out!" She's adorable.

I see the cardboard box you put in her pen. It may be fine unless she starts chewing and eating bits of it. If she does eat it, she can get pretty constipated. This also happened with Bud.

I ended up getting one of those covered litter boxes for cats. Bud slept in it and seemed to like it because it had a roof.

lorabell

I'm on my way there.....trying to brave firing up the bike....hubby has the car....lol...will let u know

bubblefish

Well? Has Goliath stayed put? LOL.

bolivianbaby

Well? Has Goliath stayed put? LOL.

She has stayed put. I'm not going to do the "happy bunny dance" for two weeks though. Just in case she's contemplating something evil>

bubblefish

Good plan.

Akari_32

have u thot about getting one of those outdoor dog kennels? they're like 10ft long and maybe 5ft wide and really tall with a closed off chain link roof. u could lay it on its side and modify it a bit so she'll have lots of room and (with any luck!) no escape routes.

bolivianbaby

have u thot about getting one of those outdoor dog kennels? they're like 10ft long and maybe 5ft wide and really tall with a closed off chain link roof. u could lay it on its side and modify it a bit so she'll have lots of room and (with any luck!) no escape routes.

She's stayed in with the cardboard roof. Cross your cottontail that her escapes are now a part of her past

Red1313

Hehe just saw this thread
She's an adorable Brat

navyscuba

I going to call this one Spider Rabbit

Akari_32

I going to call this one Spider Rabbit

Spider Pig lol the best thing of the whole stupid Simpsons Movie >.<

oh yeah, good to hear the cardboard kept her in! maybe just haveing a physical barrier helped her to see that she was suposed to stay in, even if it wasn't a sturdy one? lol

bolivianbaby

Spider Pig lol the best thing of the whole stupid Simpsons Movie >.<

oh yeah, good to hear the cardboard kept her in! maybe just haveing a physical barrier helped her to see that she was suposed to stay in, even if it wasn't a sturdy one? lol

That's what I'm hoping. She may have felt too exposed without the roof as well. I have to keep in mind that she is a prey animal when setting up her pen. I forgot that.

MaddieLynn

I've been reading all of your threads, and now I reeeeally want one of those!

angelfish220

I used to use a 5 gallon bucket cut in half (long ways) for a den

bolivianbaby

I've been reading all of your threads, and now I reeeeally want one of those!

They're a wonderful addition to the family! If you decide to get one, the x-pens (with no escape routes of course) provide much more room than any rabbit "cage" I've ever seen. And you can constantly add more space.

Hmmm...I wonder if I can do that without cutting anything but the bucket

Akari_32

that's a really good idea! I was thinking about using milkcrates earlier today, when I saw Princess checking out the ones we have in the corner of the yard (stupid dogs broke the fence lol).... I wonder how those would work...?

snuggs86

that's so cute. mine still get out as they have learnt haow to unhook the connections on the cage. so every morning I go in their room ane they will be all sitting at the door looking totally not guilty, even tho they know they are . but I love them to pieces still.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• bolivianbaby
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
Akari_32
  • bolivianbaby
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
Akari_32
  • misfihts