Rabbit Chew Toys

Lynn78too

I'm looking for suggestions on toys to give my rabbit to chew. So far she's been chewing on 1 brand of sticks, Heaven forbid we chew on a different stick brand! At first we thought it was the size so we broke it, she tosses them to the side and will only gnaw on the one brand. She's also started chewing on her fleece blanket. I'm not concerned about the blanket I'm concerned about her digestive track. So far she hasn't made any holes in it but she's chewed enough that there's a large wet spot from where she's been sucking/chewing it. She has other wood toys, we've given her paper towel rolls, a woven play mat and play tunnel but she's really limited on her chewing. She eats most greens we give her so I don't think she's having problems with her teeth, she was at the vet a month ago, I think she's just picky.

So I'm looking for suggestions! Any fun ideas?

Zerologist

• Cardboard tubes from toilet paper and paper towel rolls
  • Paper bags of varying sizes, especially one that your rabbit can fit inside
  • Cardboard boxes, especially a closed box with two or three rabbit sized entrance holes cut in the sides
  • Cardboard concrete forms or large PVC pipes for tunnels, but make sure your bunny can't get stuck in them
  • Untreated wicker baskets or other wicker items such as a wicker tunnel and wicker balls marketed for cats
  • Hard plastic cat balls with a bell inside, but make sure your bunny isn't chewing up and swallowing the plastic
  • Ward plastic baby toys such as rings, links, keys, rattles, etc.
  • Parrot toys and bells
  • Kitty condos (the shorter ones), tunnels, and platforms
  • Towels
  • Small straw whisk broom
  • Straw balls (you can get the ones meant as hamster houses and for added enjoyment, fill them with timothy hay)
  • Box full of shredded paper, preferably ink free
  • Fresh branches from untreated apple trees
  • Dried pine cones
  • Large rubber balls

Lynn78too

Some of those we've tried, such as the paper towel tubes, she ignores these I'm assuming it's because they're free and why play with free items when you can force your owner to buy?! The apple sticks she loves, but only one brand, we've tried 3.

She does like to chew on the fleece we keep in her area but isn't that bad for her to chew on? I worry that she's going to chew a hole in it and swallow it. I have no problem buying more, we bought remnants and a fleece blanket from Wal-Mart for $2.88 (score!) but not if it's going to hurt her.

The pinecones, how do you dry those out? Can I just pillage the neighbor's yard and dry them out somehow? It doesn't sound too difficult.

We have tunnels and those wicker balls and she will play with the tunnel but not chew it. She really sticks with chewing on material which is very frustrating when you're petting her and she chomps down on your clothing and gets your skin underneath. I also don't want holes in my clothes! She's about 3 lbs but boy do those tiny teeth hurt!

Lizzy23

I'm looking for suggestions on toys to give my rabbit to chew. So far she's been chewing on 1 brand of sticks, Heaven forbid we chew on a different stick brand! At first we thought it was the size so we broke it, she tosses them to the side and will only gnaw on the one brand. She's also started chewing on her fleece blanket. I'm not concerned about the blanket I'm concerned about her digestive track. So far she hasn't made any holes in it but she's chewed enough that there's a large wet spot from where she's been sucking/chewing it. She has other wood toys, we've given her paper towel rolls, a woven play mat and play tunnel but she's really limited on her chewing. She eats most greens we give her so I don't think she's having problems with her teeth, she was at the vet a month ago, I think she's just picky.

So I'm looking for suggestions! Any fun ideas?
have you tried those balls made of hay? my rabbit is pretty picky with toys but she really likes throwing them around and chewing on them. you can find them and pretty much any pet store that sells rabbit supplies.

75g Discus Tank

Fingers!

Lynn78too

have you tried those balls made of hay? my rabbit is pretty picky with toys but she really likes throwing them around and chewing on them. you can find them and pretty much any pet store that sells rabbit supplies.
I've seen them but haven't tried them. The only thing she really chews on is her fleece blankets. I'm not complaining, but she doesn't chew. On anything. I'm not claiming to be an awesome bunny trainer, just a lucky owner!

Lizzy23

I've seen them but haven't tried them. The only thing she really chews on is her fleece blankets. I'm not complaining, but she doesn't chew. On anything. I'm not claiming to be an awesome bunny trainer, just a lucky owner!
ya mine doesn't chew anything but that hay ball I got her, which is actually a little weird cause I never trained her. not that i'm complaining.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • FishGirl115
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
  • nikm128
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Gabbie