R.I.P. Steve Irwin

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Steve Irwin had to be one of the craziest Aussies on the planet..for all he did introducing us to wildlife across the globe in his inimitable style, to hear of his death at age 44 by a stingray's tail piercing his heart while he was shooting another documentary, is a lot more shocking to me than I thought it would be...fact is, I found him extremely annoying at times, but would find myself looking at his show out the corner of my eye ever so often when our five year-old son was glued to the screen (Aaron, at five, loves wildlife, the more dangerous the better..so he worshiped Steve Irwin)..and I had a grudging admiration for this crazy Aussie who got up close and personal with the biggest crocs, the most poisonous snakes and spiders, big cats..you name it, big teeth and poisonous fangs, he got in its face to teach his viewers and fans all over the world about this planet's wildlife...Like I said, I found him extremely annoying("CROIKIE..he's a beaut!!") ,but larger than life personalities like Steve Irwin are few and far between..he will be missed by many, including Aaron, Buzz, and me...Animal Planet is running a number of tributes to him if you're interested..Steve Irwin, you crazy Australian crocodile-hunter, rest in peace.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I never really watched his shows (I've seen a few though), but indeed he was a man of courage that is rarely seen today. I mean, he handled totally wild creatures - that alone deserves respect and admiration. He definitely died too young Whenever I saw this guy on TV I often thought to myself, "I don't know how this guy can meddle with wildlife like this and never get hurt." And now, he actually did get hurt, and more: he died. I guess this is another lesson to remind us that nature always wins.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think he was great, and he will be missed by many. My sister was only in his zoo a couple of weeks ago, and saw his daughter Bindi who is 8 years old, rollerblading around the zoo. He deffinately died too young, and I feel sorry for his family - his wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, eight, and Bob, two.

He will be missed terribly, by many, even the people who thought he was mad.

RIP.

Gwenz

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
well said richard i couldnt have said it any better myself..i supose when you do things like he does,its just a matter of time before somthing like this was going to happen..allthough i didnt personaly find him to be annoying at all,in fact i thought he was very funny,the way he was always so exited about all types of wildlife.. a TRUE BLUE AUSSIE CHAMPION..... THAT HE WAS... a great ambasador for australia as well as a crusader to help all endangered species on the planet..and after all the fame he had achieved he was still firmly grounded and didnt change his personality at all..the fact is steve irwin realy was like that,he didnt put on a show for the camera.just an aussie bushie who grew up with and genuinly loved and was exited by all animals great and small..he will be sadly missed by many,but like gwenz said i feel sorry for his wife and kids.. ..if there was to be any positives from such a tradgedy,then it would be that he died doing what he loved most..

it brings a tear to your eye even though i never actualy met him,i felt as if i knew him..

R.I.P steve .. :'( :'( :'( ..

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
His legacy will live on forever for all of those who conserve the earth's most precious creatures in thier natural habitats-- He dedicated his life to preservation of wildlife and for that he will be remembered forever-- It is amazing that beacuse of him land all over the world will never be able to be industrialized and it's natural inhabitants will live freely andat peace-- may his spirit rise above those places that he loved the most-- the natural... the wild... he will be missed, but never forgotten.

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
I guess that it is always sad loosing someone, especially in that manner - although I figure that in the back of everybody's mind they think " you'd expect a NASCAR racer to die racing or a daredevil stuntman to die doing stunts"... so I guess the same applies... I always figured that a snake would do him in.

I was not so much surprised as dissappointed that a person who did so much good (a real rare commodity these days) died in his prime.

Well I guess by his death, he did want he always sought to do - educate as many people as possible on animals. After this, there should be no one in doubt about how deadly a stingray can be (in fact I know a lot of folks that looked up stingrays after hearing about Steve's accident)

To summarise..."Don't muck with 'em...they dine-ger-us"...

RIP Steve, you will be greatly missed especially by al lof those animals in distress that you went out on a limb to save / rehabilitate!

annoymous_89

Reaction score
i loved his shows and is deeply saddened by his death, he showed us how to appreciate nauture and to cherish it .you will be missed by every one ,especially the animals that you took care of Steve , but will never be forgotten......... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

R.I.P Steve :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He always gave me a good laugh whenever I watched his shows. One of the funniest things I've ever seen is Steve getting spit in the face by a Spitting Cobra, repeatedly. He was crazy and he always kept his shows interesting.

I think he did a great job in raising awareness of wildlife issues and on educating folks on the various animals and reptiles he worked with and for that he will be missed. I salute you Steve and may you Rest In Peace.

spandex

Reaction score
R.I.P
Too a good man and a hero, which will be missed.

Even seeing him on Tv every day i did not know about how much he has really done for the wildlife...
i was shocked and his death then even more at how much he has done,
Ill be telling my kids about him one day

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
In a way, although I have a policy against idolizing people (better a first rate version of yourself than a second of someone else//emulate the best parts of many people, not a single great person. Everyone has a weakness)... Steve Irwin would have to be one of those who I came closest to doing so with. I am a bioloby major in college -who wants to go into field research and hopefully wildlife rehabilitation... and probably work for a zoo. Although I'm not overly interested in reptiles (give me large carnivorous mammals anyday!) - Hats off to Steve, who was the first person I saw doing such things that I thought, "I could do that. I WANT to do that." Here's to a great, fearless man (that said, he was completely insane). Know that there are those of us who will try to do what we can in your place.

In a way I was shocked that he died from a stingray. I am completely aware of how dangerous they are (we got the whole rundown the first time I went snorkeling) - yet I guess I always assumed that either he would A) live forever... heck, he's cheated death at the hands of I don't know how many other dangerous critters; or B) die from one too many snakebites. Sobering thought to me, along with everyone else, that even someone so knowledgable can die so easily.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom