R.I.P. Neptune. I'll love you forever. <3

BornThisWayBettas

So today I had to say good bye to my darling betta, Neptune. I thought I was going to euthanize him, so I was about to leave for the store to buy clove oil, but before I left, I found that there was no need, since he had already passed. I felt that the least I could do was honor him by sharing his story on here, so here goes.

He was my first fish, I hardly did any research at all about bettas and just went to my LFS and picked him out. I put him in a 3 gallon glass bowl (I think that's about how big it was) without a filter or heater. I did pretty much complete water changes every week (I caught him and put him in a plastic bowl with some of the old water in it), rinsed out the gravel, rinsed out the bowl, rinsed the decorations, and replaced the old water with clean, conditioned water.

Months later, I decided I liked the hobby so much that I went out and bought a ten gallon tank with a filter and all that. I put him in the tank, went on vacation for a few days (I left him with some sort of betta vacation feeder wafer), and after the tank had been fully cycled, I added in three albino cory catfish and three neon tetras with him in the tank. The neons died of ich shortly after getting them (but I didn't have the heater running), so I added the heater and soon started using aquarium salt. Anyways, back to Neptune.

Over the past few months, he had just been looking a little rough, but suddenly, he rapidly started deteriorating within the past few weeks. His scales became raised, his fins mostly just looked like thick strings hanging off his body, his entire body was discolored, white patches on his face, red streaks on his face and gills, and serious lethargy. It came to the point where he just lay on the bottom of the tank, motionless, all day.

Finally, yesterday, he only took a small nibble of food, and that was only because I lifted him up gently in my hand. I was planning to euthanize him today, but I still needed to buy clove oil, but before I left, like I said, he was gone. He's truly amazing, one of the best friends I've ever had. He put up with being bullied by a male molly (whom I took back to the store), but Neptune didn't really defend himself too well, maybe because he was too big of a softie to really hurt anyone. He also put up with guppies, only flaring and giving short chases on occasion, and I think that was mostly only because he saw his reflection in the glass and chased the other fish as if to say to his reflection, "You might be able to flare, but only I am king of the tank!"

The albino cory catfish seemed to have no respect for personal space, so they would bump all into him and he would just ignore them for the most part. Back when he lived in his bowl, I would sometimes feed him from my fingers, and finally, he learned to nip my fingers! It didn't hurt, but it did tickle and it always seemed to surprise me.

Another thing he loved to do was "ride" and swim against the current made by the filter in the tank, and it seemed like he especially loved to do it when I was watching. He always (except for right before he died) would come up to greet me at the front of the tank, and would even follow my finger around when I moved it outside the glass. He was so beautiful when he was young... a bright, vibrant blue that slowly darkened into black as it reached his head. I'll miss him so much... but I'm glad he's out of his misery and in a better place. I have never loved another fish in the same way I loved him, and I don't think I ever will, or want to. He was special to me in a way that no one else will be. So, if you've read this far, then good job! Bye Neptune... you're my wonderful baby... always will be.

aliray

I am sorry for your loss. It is very hard to loose a pet. They are part of our family. Alison

BornThisWayBettas

Thank you so much, aliray.

Anders247

Sorry for your loss.

BornThisWayBettas

Thank you Anders247. This may sound silly, but I wanted to give him a proper "burial", so we put him outside in the flower bed, kinda underneath some of our prettiest yellow flowers. I'm so glad my mom was with me, she helped me a lot, provided comfort and helped me bury him.

Bijou88

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's always so hard to lose someone you love, no matter what species they are.

Cacret

I am so sorry fro your loss. It is hard for me to loose a pet I hope you find a new friend, and I'm sure Neptune is watching you right now saying "Dude, thank you for a wonderful life "

Ignore my signature.....

This is Cacret, ending whatever is my comment with a lol xD

Aquarist

Good morning,

So hate to hear of your loss. I know it is not easy.

I have edited post #1 to create paragraphs for easier reading. Many members including myself, have difficulty reading 1 big block of text. One big block of text may also limit your responses.

I have moved your thread to Memorials section of the forum.

Thanks! Again, sorry for your loss.

Ken

BornThisWayBettas

Thanks guys. I just hope he's happy. Oh, and sorry for that Aquarist, I didn't even know you had a Memorials section! And thank you for breaking it up into paragraphs, I should've remembered to do that. Thanks for your sympathies everyone.

Cacret

Like to post a pic of Neptune so we could all remember him?

BornThisWayBettas

I don't know, I can try though. If I were to, it would be back when he was starting to look kinda rough. My camera was always dead for some reason, so the pictures I took on mobile devices weren't ever that good. Maybe I'll try later today.

Cacret

Ok Neptune will always love you even from the beyond

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views