R.I.P Athena (the best fish I have ever owned)

betta06
I feel so bad for her as it was a horrible death that did not have to happen... this morning I turned the light on as usual and her and star (my other female betta) where completely fine. a few hours later I went to feed them but I could only see star (and Athena LOVES food and would never miss a meal) that is when I noticed the filters sponge was off... I took it apart and did not see her in the filter media compartment so started taking apart the tubing and blade sadly she had got stuck inside of it and had already died and been cut badly... the flow was not strong so she must have gone inside exploring and gotten stuck. I feel so bad she was only 2-3 and had plenty left to live and no heath issues.

I can't believe that now 3 bettas have died within the last month.... aqua of dropsy Poseidon of swim bladder and now my amazing Athena from something that should not have happened.

also any idea why the sponge came of? it has never happened before.

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg
here she is! I wish I had better pictures but the first one is after a month of having her, she came with horrible stress stripes but they disappeared even though she lived in a 5 gallon with 2 other bettas! (I know I can't believe I did that)

and in the second picture is of when I bred her with aqua. she was a great mom and I still have some of their babies! and for about the last month I got her a 10 gallon that she shared with star the other female betta I have and she got in some gorgeous colours and seemed really happy in there until today. but she was a great fish who should have had many more years to live.

PurpleReign19
betta06 said:
I feel so bad for her as it was a horrible death that did not have to happen... this morning I turned the light on as usual and her and star (my other female betta) where completely fine. a few hours later I went to feed them but I could only see star (and Athena LOVES food and would never miss a meal) that is when I noticed the filters sponge was off... I took it apart and did not see her in the filter media compartment so started taking apart the tubing and blade sadly she had got stuck inside of it and had already died and been cut badly... the flow was not strong so she must have gone inside exploring and gotten stuck. I feel so bad she was only 2-3 and had plenty left to live and no heath issues.

I can't believe that now 3 bettas have died within the last month.... aqua of dropsy Poseidon of swim bladder and now my amazing Athena from something that should not have happened.

also any idea why the sponge came of? it has never happened before.

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg
here she is! I wish I had better pictures but the first one is after a month of having her, she came with horrible stress stripes but they disappeared even though she lived in a 5 gallon with 2 other bettas! (I know I can't believe I did that) and in the second picture is of when I bred her with aqua. she was a great mom and I still have some of their babies! and for about the last month I got her a 10 gallon that she shared with star the other female betta I have and she got in some gorgeous colours and seemed really happy in there until today. but she was a great fish who should have had many more years to live.
SIP Athena. Im so sorry for your loss.

LHAquatics
Oh wow, My betta died with the same markings on its scales. The problem is I didn't even have a pre-filter. I added filter media up the intake sponge and added a rubber band as extra protection. I am sorry for your loss.

Betta'sAnonymous
SIP Athena!

May not be a good fit on the intake with the sponge, maybe. Or the fish may have messed with it just enough it came off. A few possibilities. Maybe tie it off with a rubberband to help ensure it can't come off again?

betta06
Betta'sAnonymous said:
SIP Athena!

May not be a good fit on the intake with the sponge, maybe. Or the fish may have messed with it just enough it came off. A few possibilities. Maybe tie it off with a rubberband to help ensure it can't come off again?
I will take a picture cause it is hard to explain how it fits on lol.
Cory04 said:
Oh wow, My betta died with the same markings on its scales. The problem is I didn't even have a pre-filter. I added filter media up the intake sponge and added a rubber band as extra protection. I am sorry for your loss.
thank you! and sorry about your fish she looks so cute!

Bettaholic
FreshwaterFins99 said:
SIP Athena. Im so sorry for your loss.
SIP pretty Athena. So sorry, FreshWaterFins99!

michaelh
So sorry for you and your loss.

alven
Aww she was very pretty, I see why you named her Athena. Sorry for your loss.

betta06

D932BAB5-4CC7-4370-B646-E2DC4207AF9A.jpeg
here is the filter. so you pull on the sponge and tube underneath it leaves a hole at the top that is where she got in. sorry if that does not make sense lol.

as for the white fish that is star her tank mate and I know the tank does not look that good in order to have them together I had to give lots of hiding spots lol. but I guess now that it is just star I should be able to focus on making it look nice and Iam going to my lps tonight to get a tester kit and could probable pick up some more live plants too.

Lxliee
S.I.P. Athena! So sorry for your loss

betta06
betta06 said:

D932BAB5-4CC7-4370-B646-E2DC4207AF9A.jpeg
here is the filter. so you pull on the sponge and tube underneath it leaves a hole at the top that is where she got in. sorry if that does not make sense lol.

as for the white fish that is star her tank mate and I know the tank does not look that good in order to have them together I had to give lots of hiding spots lol. but I guess now that it is just star I should be able to focus on making it look nice and Iam going to my lps tonight to get a tester kit and could probable pick up some more live plants too.

oh and if you noticed star has a ton fin. not sure how she got it but has had it for a few weeks and is healing just SUPER slowly

Betta'sAnonymous
Should be able to wrap a rubberband or something around the top a few times so it can't slip

Leeman75
So sorry to hear about your loss. It's so hard when we lose them, especially in such a tragic way!!

StarGirl
Aw so sorry! SIP Athena. You have had some bum luck lately.

Thatguyfoot
I feel for ya bud it always a downer to lose a finned family member. I just lost an alpha bumblebee about a week or so ago now.

NBettas83
SIP Athena, I had my poor baby die in December to dropsy, I had only had him for 1 1/2 years . Not too long after that my cousin's poor Betta died at around the same age too. Just remember that the fish had happy lives, even if short. A short but joyful life is much better than a long and sad one.

betta06
NBettas83 said:
SIP Athena, I had my poor baby die in December to dropsy, I had only had him for 1 1/2 years . Not too long after that my cousin's poor Betta died at around the same age too. Just remember that the fish had happy lives, even if short. A short but joyful life is much better than a long and sad one.
I am sorry about your fish.... aqua my 5 year old betta also died of dropsy a few days ago probable due to old age

The_fishy
Maybe try a zip tie at the top and bottom? Sometimes rubber bands will eventually snap.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom