Quiz

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements/Suggestions' started by AlanGreene, Jan 9, 2013.

1. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Hey guys, not sure where to post this so I decided general section would be the best!

I was thinking that it could be beneficial to offer some quizzes on the website.

The quizzes could include:

Appropriate tank sizes for certain fish

Appropriate tank mates for certain fish

Identifying fish species

Identifying fish sicknesses

how does the nitrogen cycle work

You know stuff that would benefit you as a fish keeper. I know that when I go through something I'm not sure about in a quiz like format I am much more likely to remember it that if I just read it, maybe it could be possible to offer hints than just give the answer outright if the person gets it wrong for example? Maybe these exist already and we could simply provide links to quizzes like this on fishlore?

Anyway it was just a thought I had and decided I might as well share.

Thanks for reading!

Al

-  
    -  
    -  

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I think that could be a fun way for members to test their knowledge :) One issue that could arise is that many aspects of fish keeping are a "it depends" type of thing, or mildly opinionated. For example, I personally wouldn't keep neons in a 10 gallon but I know others do; many members don't use salt ever but others think it has its uses.

3. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Hey Kine!

Yes I know but there is generally a consensus on what is correct for the vast majority of fish keeping topics, not everyone needs to agree with all the answers either but is good for people to know them, that way they have more opinions and can come to a sensible reasoning for themselves with all of the information available, two heads are better than one type thing!

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi Alan,
    Why don't you get the ball rolling.... (Don't make it a hot topic)

Create a quiz in the Polls forum, list the question, the answers etc, and people can take the quiz, and leave a comment. When people vote, they'll be able to see other results (majority/consensus is type of response).

Let's start with one (1) quiz, and see where it ends up....

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Hey Ryanr,

I'd be more than happy to do that, I will look up how to create polls after I have gone to the bottle bank (too many beers lately! :))

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Ahhh, the Irish :giggle: (we love you guys, too much fun)

bottle bank = off licence in England = bottle shop in Aus? Or is that just slang?

7. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol Ryan a bottle bank is where you take empty bottles to recycle.
    An off license is where you buy full bottles ;)

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I visit both regularly

9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I know what an off-licence is :D I didnt know if the Irish called it a bottle bank..... i.e I keep my money in the bank, and my 'bottles' in the bottle bank :;laughing Like Aussies, the Irish are fond of a drink, so I just assumed :;laughing

We used to have a 'bottle bank' here, we called it the recycling station. 10c per bottle/5c per can.

10. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol we don't get money for our emptys just the enjoyment of making them empty ;)

11. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

And Aussies are too lazy to take the bottles, so we just have recycling bins that we put out on the kerb every fortnight! (in fact, so does Oxford when I was there)

Sorry to derail your thread Alan (but you did start the bottle bank discussion :p)

12. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I'm part Irish :D

13. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

If your gonna derail a thread for any reason, beer is a good one!

14. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

My boyfriend was fortunate enough to visit Ireland for St Patrick's Day; he said the bar was so packed he was waving money in the air and still couldn't get a beer! Sounds like a fun time, but I don't like crowded places...I do like beer though ;)

Be sure to post a link here once you make the poll :) It's easy, when you're making a new thread, if you scroll down there's an option to "make this thread a poll," check the box and when you click "submit this thread" it'll redirect you to another page where you would write the question as the poll title (like "how many platies can you fit in a 20 gallon tank" or something like that) and then make each poll choice an answer. :) It sounds fun, now I want to make one :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice