Quietest, cheapest, and best filter for a 20g?

laxdude

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've been battling a thick, web-like algae in my heavily planted 20 gallon tank for almost as long as I've had it. I barely keep the lights on, I only have 8 small bio-load fish in there (species name escapes me right now), and I've tried every size hanging filter on it that doesn't blow my fish to Mexico. I can't get rid of it no matter what. even bleaching everything and starting from scratch won't help me. Because of the fact that lighting doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, I'm guessing filtration has a major role.

So now that my situation is clear, does anyone know of a good filter that is both reasonably priced and quiet enough to not drive me up a wall when I'm trying to sleep?

dcutl002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have pictures? Sounds like Cladaphora. Here is a picture:

I had to kill this stuff a couple of years ago by dosing Excel. Just use caution with invertebrates.

azbev

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Fluval 30 on my 20 gallon long and am very pleased with it. The control for "high" and "low" is very effective, but the current even on high does not bother my DG.

OP
laxdude

laxdude

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I doubt this will be picked up by now, but here is a picture of the icky gunk ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465332480.061050.jpg

dcutl002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard to tell, but that is probably Cladophora on your driftwood. A few things to try:
API Algaefix -

H2O2 -

OP
laxdude

laxdude

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hmm, it doesn't quite look like that. it's sort of a skin-like film of solid algal goop. I will look into getting the algae fix and such.

OP
laxdude

laxdude

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Researched and came to the conclusion that it is blue green algae- actually a bacteria. any ideas on how to kill it? I heard parameters might effect it, what parameters does it not like?

dcutl002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. Not the end of the world. This guy in this thread had fish die, but I have never lost any fish using Erythromycin. Erythromycin is the fastest way of getting rid of it.

Mister Krabbs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have recently purchased a SUNSUN 402b. It is supposed to have 265gph flow and has UV built in. It only cost $45 or $50 shipped to me. I have it setup in my basement in a 20-30 gal plastic tub working on the cycle. what I can tell you is I can not hear it until I am standing right on top of it. Now for the crazy part of this, I am planning on putting this in my 16g tall tank, which has the same footprint as a 10g. I have been running it for over a week now in this tub. I do not believe that it has too much flow/current for my tank. It is rated for a 75 gallon tank. So far I really like the way this appears to be working.

just food for thought

New Threads