Quiet Flow 50 / Aqua Clear 50

PETS BEST FRIEND

I presently have both these type of filter brands and prefer the aqua clear over the other one myself, The problem I am having is they are installing new power lines where I live so they turn the power off quite a bit around here to work on them. I like Aqua Clear myself because of the storage space in the housing itself as we all know it can hold more. Anyways what kind of current flow would a Aqueon Quiet Flow 50 put out in a 20 gallon long?

I prefer center placement myself in fish tanks, For me it seems to always work best. Will it keep the tank clean just as good as a Aqua Clear 50? Is it a good filter to use? I do not have a clue myself but with us losing power all the time I am leaning toward the quiet flow 50 because the one I have now will self prime itself something the aqua clear will not do and I am having to take the entire filter off just to restart it because the impeller will freeze when we lose power. Thank You

Celestialgirl

Take your aqua clear apart at the base and give it a good rinse. I had a similar issue and that fixed the freezing problem.

Sorry, I haven't tried the other filter.

tyguy7760

the quietflow 50 has a higher GPH than a aquaclear 50. AC50 has 200 gph I believe where as the quietflow50 has 250 gph. I personally prefer the quietflows because of the self priming but and better water dispersement. The aquaclears do have better media baskets though. I wouldn't hesitate going with an aquaclear.

Fritzmama

I love my AC50 but... the fact that it is not self priming is what has me looking for a new filter as well.

Piaelliott

I presently have both these type of filter brands and prefer the aqua clear over the other one myself, The problem I am having is they are installing new power lines where I live so they turn the power off quite a bit around here to work on them. I like Aqua Clear myself because of the storage space in the housing itself as we all know it can hold more. Anyways what kind of current flow would a Aqueon Quiet Flow 50 put out in a 20 gallon long?

I prefer center placement myself in fish tanks, For me it seems to always work best. Will it keep the tank clean just as good as a Aqua Clear 50? Is it a good filter to use? I do not have a clue myself but with us losing power all the time I am leaning toward the quiet flow 50 because the one I have now will self prime itself something the aqua clear will not do and I am having to take the entire filter off just to restart it because the impeller will freeze when we lose power. Thank You
I have an Aqueon Quietflow 20 on my 20 gal long. I am happy with it and I replaced the media with an Aquaclear sponge etc.
The reason I went with it is that it self primes. We have occasional power outages and it would be a mess if the filter wouldn't start itself.

leftswerve

I have had both filters. The AC is not priming because it is too dirty and/or your water level is too low in the tank.
The aqueon is nice because of the push style motor, but it can also get too dirty.
In my experience, the aqueon was noisier, but that is a mater of preference. They're all loud.
Good luck

david1978

I have experimented with my aquaclears because I don't have an issue with any of mine self priming. The water has to be down more than 2 inches before it won't prime itself and that's with the 50, the 70 and the 110. As far as impeller not starting it needs cleaned.

Piaelliott

I have had both filters. The AC is not priming because it is too dirty and/or your water level is too low in the tank.
The aqueon is nice because of the push style motor, but it can also get too dirty.
In my experience, the aqueon was noisier, but that is a mater of preference. They're all loud.
Good luck
I can barely hear my Aqueon Quiet Flow.
Aquaclear doesn't guarantee self priming, it doesn't have anything to do with how dirty the filter is. Some Aquaclears do it some not. If there are frequent power outages, I wouldn't take the risk.
Seachem Tidal might be another great option for OP.

Rythmyc

You could also look into smaller canister filters. They are self priming and hold a good amount of media if that's what you've been looking for

leftswerve

You could also look into smaller canister filters. They are self priming and hold a good amount of media if that's what you've been looking for
That is a good idea. I run all sorts of combos (always 2 different filters) on all of my tanks. On my 20, I run a AC50 and a Sponge.
The sponge filter is almost fail proof.

Ed1957

I have a 5 Aqueon Quiet Flow filters and love them. The self priming is the major benefit for me. All of my filters are pretty quiet. All I hear is the output hitting the water after there is tank evaporation.

PETS BEST FRIEND

Good luck

No it is not priming because it looks like they our not designed to re prime. When I do a weekly change I also clean the filters impeller as well and lube it. Just wanted to clarify this. Guess I will try one of the Aqueon Quiet Flow 50 if I don't like it I will just use it in a quarantine tank instead. Thank You

leftswerve

No it is not priming because it looks like they our not designed to re prime. When I do a weekly change I also clean the filters impeller as well and lube it. Just wanted to clarify this. Guess I will try one of the Aqueon Quiet Flow 50 if I don't like it I will just use it in a quarantine tank instead. Thank You
My friend, they are self priming. They follow the same principal as the whisper, tetra, and who knows what other HOBs. Some people claim to not have good luck, I an not disagreeing with that.
I think some of this thread has been mixed up. Originally this was about when the power goes out, not a restart from dry.
When you do your weekly change you need to clean it, NOT lube it, and fill it with water. The drive on the motors is magnetic, crud and lube will make the impellor stick, causing it not to start in a power outage. If you are having to lube because of noise, there may be another problem.
A power outage restart, is different than a clean out restart priming.

bgclarke

I put a Quietflow 50 on my 20 gallon high for a few weeks but had to remove it as the flow was too strong for my Panda Cories, although my zebra danios loved the flow.
I'm running a Quietflow 30 on my 20 gallon high and it's fine.

PETS BEST FRIEND

I put a Quietflow 50 on my 20 gallon high for a few weeks but had to remove it as the flow was too strong for my Panda Cories, although my zebra danios loved the flow.
I'm running a Quietflow 30 on my 20 gallon high and it's fine.

Yeah I also did a 30 it is still rated 200 gph and produces a nice wave so should be okay. Now I am glad I did not get a 50 lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Intake Pre-Filter Sponge
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views