Quickrete PFS - too rough/sharp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by porkozone, Dec 4, 2012.

1. p

porkozone New Member Member

I am switching to sand in my tank, mainly for my Cories but also for a more natural look. I bought some Quickrete PFS at Home Depot. I really like the look - lots of fine grain, with flecks of larger white and orange pieces. My only concern is that the white pieces look kinda rough or sharp. Is there any reason I need to worry about this for the Cories? I would assume as many people talk about using PFS that this isn't a problem, but wanted to make sure I didn't need to be picking out the larger white pieces or something (which would take forever).

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I didn't know that quickrete made pool filter sand - thought they just made play sand.

I used quickrete play sand - it was awful. Aside from all the softness washing away while cleaning, it was an ugly grey color. That's my experience with it.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I used the quickrete playsand and I love it :) I did a partial rinse (didn't want to lose to much softness) I haven't witnessed any cuts on any of my albino cories so I would say it is good sand! Plus my MTS and Assassin Snails spend a lot of time digging around :)

Anyways i didn't know they made pfs

4. OP
    OP
    p

porkozone New Member Member

Quickrete does make PFS apparently.

It's been in my tank for about a week now. I washed it really good in a bucket and got it in there with virtually no cloudiness.

It looks nice, and has a base of fine sand with several different flecks of color of different sizes. It still looks fairly rough to me, though but it's hard to know.

The only problem I'm having (which isn't all bad) is that the main reason I made the change was to make vacuuming easier, since the poop would stay on top. I guess it is, but it's hard to see because of the variations in the sand itself. This is good in that the tank looks better between cleanings, but bad in that 'm having a hard time figuring out where to vacuum.

5. J

Jdufreche Valued Member Member

So I know this is an old post, but I am looking to add sand to my aquarium for Cories and trying to decide between play sand and PFS. Came across this thread while researching. Just wondering how you liked it after it had been in the tank awhile and how did the Cories do with it?

6. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

I don't know anything about quikcrete pfs, but I have used and very much liked the pfs from ace(id have to look up the brand) it was perfectly fine for all my cories

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It doesn't appear that the OP has been signed on for nearly 3 years. You might want to start your own thread for your question. :)

8. J

Great, thanks for the feedback!

9. J

Yeah I tried to find when he signed in last, but must have missed it. Figured it was worth a try anyway

10. CowBoYReX

Says it's aqua quartz
    [​IMG]

11. J

Thanks, I actually went by Home Depot this morning and all the had was the Quickrete PFS....so that's what I got.

12. CowBoYReX

Lol ok ill have to look it up

13. J

It actually seemed very similar to the play sand (that they had stocked right below it). Although, the play sand was cheaper. I'd like to say I investigated the difference, but I would have been late to work so I didn't spend much time checking it out

14. CowBoYReX

Good thinking lol it should be bigger grains and more orange-ish in color, the pfs is a better choice. And quikrete I'd like half the cost of ace's

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice