Quickest Way To Seed New Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

xs2man

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys,

I'll thank by saying thanks for all the pointers and help with cycling my 100g setup. It looks to be almost ready to go, so I'll shortly be swapping my stock around between tanks.

With that in mind, I will end up with a "free" tank. In this case, my first tank, my 20g Fluval tank. It came with an internal filter that included the heater too, it just slips in there.

Anyway, I am considering upgrading the filter media in the pump before I re-purpose the tank to try and breed my Odessa barbs in there. I already have some new media to put in there, but being new media, it will need to be seeded.

So I am also due to go away for work early next week, for up to 2 weeks. So what I was originally thinking, was once the new 100g has been stocked up, I just put the fluval pump in there, and let it pump away for the next couple weeks, and hopefully when I get back it will be ready to go.

Will that work? How will I know if it has worked? Would I then just set up the other tank, and test it with ammonia / API test kit for a few days? There is not much room in that filter for anything. It is a Juwel Bioflow One filter. So there were only some foam blocks in there to start with. Not really sure there is much more I can put in there to help things. Or if it'll even be worth replacing the filter media. It is about a year old now though, and throughout it's life, it has been in a quite heavily overstocked tank.

Rohit mess

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, if you put the filter in the new cycled tank and run it for couple of weeks it will get established. No worries. And since you have test kits you can always be sure of it.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are saying that you plan on removing the original media and starting with all new media I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to build a strong colony of bacteria.

Keep in mind, I could be totally wrong and it may be fine 'specially if you don't clean the filter housing itself. There should be bacteria on the surface of the filter housing/pump so 2 weeks may be sufficient.

Congratulations on completing the cycle on your 100 gallon.

OP
xs2man

xs2man

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are saying that you plan on removing the original media and starting with all new media I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to build a strong colony of bacteria.

Keep in mind, I could be totally wrong and it may be fine 'specially if you don't clean the filter housing itself. There should be bacteria on the surface of the filter housing/pump so 2 weeks may be sufficient.

Congratulations on completing the cycle on your 100 gallon.
Thanks. It was a relief to get that tank cycled.

Yes, 2 weeks may not be quite enough. I will likely be away near weeks, and I wasn't planning on doing any specific cleaning of the filter. Just putting in new media, and throwing it in the tank alongside either the freshly cycled tank, or the long established tank. Whatever would work best. I can, of course, leave it another week if it will help. There is not much room in that filter for biomedia though. There was none in it initially, so I really don't know how would be best to set it all up. I'll look into that after I have swapped round all the tanks over the weekend.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like your have more than one option. That's good. If it were me I would seed it on the long established tank if possible. At this point I don't think I would want to do anything to the newly cycled one.

I know adding and then removing an extra filter really shouldn't hurt your cycle but if you have fish in there and the tank has built enough bacteria for them divided between the original filter media and the new media, removing the new may cause a mini cycle.

I may be overly cautious but just wanted to share my thoughts with you. A long established tank will have grown strong bacteria on every surface in the tank. Removing extra media won't have as big an impact on that tank as it might have on a brand new cycle.

OP
xs2man

xs2man

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wasn't going to be removing any media from anywhere. I was going to stick fresh media in the small filter, and use one of my other tanks to seed it by just adding it into the tank. As you say though, the established tank will likely have stronger bacteria in there. Although that tank cycled without me having a single clue about what I was doing. I didn't even know that was what I was doing. Lucky any fish survived the process, lol.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wasn't going to be removing any media from anywhere. I was going to stick fresh media in the small filter, and use one of my other tanks to seed it by just adding it into the tank. As you say though, the established tank will likely have stronger bacteria in there. Although that tank cycled without me having a single clue about what I was doing. I didn't even know that was what I was doing. Lucky any fish survived the process, lol.
Sometimes I have a hard time being clear. If I understand correctly you said you were going to remove the original media from the filter housing on your 20g Fluval tank and replace it with new media. You were then going to move this filter/pump over to another tank to seed the new media.

I was referring to this filter when I said you would be removing extra media. You would be moving the whole unit back to the 20g Fluval tank once seeded.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. Probably my fault in not understanding what you meant.
It is often difficult for me to get what is in my mind down in black and white but I will try again.
A tank will build enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of the fish you have in the tank. In a well established tank that bacteria is spread all over the tank but most of it lives on the media in your filters. If you remove one of the filters your are removing some of the bacteria. Your 100gallon tank has just finished cycling so most likely doesn't have an abundance of extra bacteria. If you use this tank to seed the filter for your 20 gallon tank and then remove it you will be removing some of the bacteria that this tank needs to continue establishing a strong cycle.

All of this just to say. If it were me I would seed the new media in your well established tank instead of the newly cycled tank. I am sorry I confused you. It wasn't my intention at all.

To tell the truth I think I have even confused myself. I really do know what I am trying to say but in the long run someone may stop by and tell me I have no idea what I am saying and it doesn't make a bit of difference

Last edited:
OP
xs2man

xs2man

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ha ha. I get you. It's what I thought anyway. Better to seed it from the established tank. I had thought about the 100g, because it was a fishless cycle with way more ammonia used than will be required, so there is no doubt LOADS of bacteria in there. However, as you say, it is quite new bacteria, and probably not as strong.

The 55g, however, will see a large reduction in stock anyway, so will also have an over abundance of bacteria for the next couple weeks, so shouldn't be a problem, hopefully, regardless of which tank I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom