quick ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newbie101, Mar 19, 2006.

1. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Can one put coral from the ocean into a freshwater tank? The dentist I'm setting up the tank for would like to put some that she has, in there, but I don't know if that would be okay. I'm thinking not.
    ??

2. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

i think so too

3. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

real or fake

real would die i would imagine

fake would rip fins and might mess with the PH

so NO

4. OP
    OP
    n

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

its real, but its dead I assume because it has been a decorative thing on a shelf for years.

5. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

just to be safe I wouldn't put coral in a fresh water tank

6. Marc

MarcWell Known MemberMember

It will raise the pH and probably harden the water. If I were you I'd be wary of using it.

7. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

It would be dangerous for your angels and long finned fish and any others fish that are sensitive to water parameter changes at any rate. Emma, I would have to vote with the rest and say no.

Rose
    :)

8. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I would say no also but I saw some awesome looking fake at petsmart if she insists. Not sure how natural it would look with the live plants and wood though.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    n

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Okay I'm kind of glad everyone is saying no, because I don't think coral would look very good in a fresh tank.
    Thanks lol
    so now we can get some lovely wood!

10. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Emma -

I got 3 pieces of driftwood and there was a world of difference in the quality and not a whole lot of difference in the price.  the very BEST quality driftwood I got was at a place called  .  It holds together much better and looks so much nicer and they have such a much finer and larger choice of shapes and sizes available.  I found the site on the Plantgeeks site.

Rose
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice