quick ?

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
Can one put coral from the ocean into a freshwater tank? The dentist I'm setting up the tank for would like to put some that she has, in there, but I don't know if that would be okay. I'm thinking not.
??

OP
N

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
its real, but its dead I assume because it has been a decorative thing on a shelf for years.

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
It will raise the pH and probably harden the water. If I were you I'd be wary of using it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be dangerous for your angels and long finned fish and any others fish that are sensitive to water parameter changes at any rate. Emma, I would have to vote with the rest and say no.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say no also but I saw some awesome looking fake at petsmart if she insists. Not sure how natural it would look with the live plants and wood though.
Carol

OP
N

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
Okay I'm kind of glad everyone is saying no, because I don't think coral would look very good in a fresh tank.
Thanks lol
so now we can get some lovely wood!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Emma -

I got 3 pieces of driftwood and there was a world of difference in the quality and not a whole lot of difference in the price.  the very BEST quality driftwood I got was at a place called .  It holds together much better and looks so much nicer and they have such a much finer and larger choice of shapes and sizes available.  I found the site on the Plantgeeks site.

Rose

New Threads