20 Gallon Tank Quick with A Net

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I bought some platy females from the LFS on Sunday. One of my co-workers wants some.

Normally, I have to tear tanks apart to catch fish. My daughter wanted to catch these three. I figured it would entertain her for a good 30 minutes.

She caught three platys (one male/two females per my instructions) within 10 minutes. She also did it without uprooting my live plant in the tank

I'm thinking about hiring her out as an official fish-catcher

Last edited:

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol, She has the touch. I know I tried to catch a cory for 15 minutes and he was that bag the LFS sends them home in.

How old is you daughter?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had to tear apart my 37g to net the cherry barbs I had in it originally, even had to take out a castle decoration. Then I learned the ninja technique and they never see it coming. I start the net out low in the tank directly under the fish and slowly raise it up, which also reflexively makes the fish swim directly upward without startling it and you both eventually make it to the top and aha! got 'em!

Of course I could probably net most, if not all, of my pirahana, I mean gold barbs, at feeding time because they are oblivious to what's going on and they swarm.

-Lisa

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thats awesome! Wish I had the force when it came to netting a fish! They seem to dart in every direction except the one Im swoopin at!

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
...has anyone used the red nets that are sold????? They say we see it but the fish dont?????

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OMG!!! I have to uproot my entire tank to get my danios. I was going to give them to my LFS, but I REFUSE to uproot my tank as I just got it the way I like it (and live plants may not appreciate it lol!). So they stay. The cories are also a nightmare, but I have got a trick that works, oooooooh yup, about 3 times out of 10 (better than my previous records!). I wait for them to swim near my net which is outside the tank and suddenly swoop in and grab 'em.
Like I said, works intermittently, but it means I can catch the danios in 15 mins instead of 30!! Cories are more difficult to do this with, it's just luck with them...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom